The holidays have been and gone and more than likely you did a lot of running around with family and friends. or you may have gone on a road trip.
Did you notice that the running cost of your car was starting to creep up?
With the price of petrol constantly increasing it is important to make sure your car is running smoothly and not unnecessarily going through more fuel that what is required.
There are ways to save on your fuel consumption and in turn save you money.
If you neglect your car maintenance, it will always result in higher costs down the road in the form of higher fuel usage and more extensive repairs needed.If you are planning on selling or trading in your car it can result in a loss of resale value.
If you’re like most people, spending money on your car is usually the last thing you want to budget for, but it is important to remember that regular car care means big savings by improving fuel economy, reducing car trouble or ruining your car's exterior.
Better Driving Performance
We suggest that you do a quick vehicle check to help avoid the unplanned expense of a major car service or repair. And you can do these quick vehicle checks yourself. You can spot a problem and action it quickly before something major happens.
- Check the tyres, including tire pressure and tread. Most service stations have free air pumps that are easy to use. Check your car’s manual to find out the recommended psi for your tyres reset the pump’s pressure reading recommended for your car. It is usually between 28 and 32 psi.
- Uneven wear on a tyre indicates a need for wheel alignment. Tyres should also be checked for bulges and bald spots.
- Get a wheel alignment done to save the expense of 4 new tyres
- Check the fluids, including the oil,your radiator and the radiator overflow bottle and your windscreen washer container.Always check these fluids when the engine is cold and the vehicle is parked on a level surface.The engine oil is checked with the dipstick. Look in your car owners manual to check where it is and you will need an old cloth to wipe the dipstick clean. The radiator fluid is check bu looking at the overflow bottle. There is a line that will indicate if it is full. If it needs a top up, you will d this with 50% water and 50% coolant.
- Check under the bonnet and see what hoses or fans you can see, if any look cracked, brittle, frayed, loose or show signs of excessive wear. Book in for a service as they are critical to the proper functioning of the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering and the cooling system.
- Check your lights! Get a friend or partner to stand in front and behind your car to check that the headlights, indicators, brake lights and reverse lights are working. It could save you getting a fine or worse being in an accident due to other drivers not seeing you properly..
- Check windscreen wipers. Wiper blades should be replaced every 12 months. Make sure the windshield wipers are working properly and keep the washer reservoir filled.
To save on fuel costs with day to day driving you can save money by avoid aggressive driving, stick to the speed limit and avoid heavy braking and the car idling for extensive times. Yes peak hour traffic chews up your fuel!
Detailing Your Car Will Look After The Exterior
Looking after your car's exterior and interior is also important
If you live in Queensland you will be well aware that the constant sun and heat will cause paint damage and damage to your dashboard through the windscreen
There are several ways that you can look after your car's duco
The main one is avoiding as much sun exposure as possible
If you have a garage or car port use it when ever possible
When parking at work try to find an undercover area to park your car during the hottest part of the day.
You can buy car protectors - these are easy to put over your car if you are needing to leave it out in the elements for extended periods - Such as long term parking at the airport
Polish And Wax Your Car To Protect The Paint
Protect the paintwork of the car from the sun’s ultraviolet rays and the cars bodywork with a polish and wax finish. Use a good quality wax and ensure you don’t skimp on the waxing. Waxing will add an extra protective layer to the paint and help prevent UV rays from penetrating and discolouring the surface.
Regular detailing your car will kee[ the wax protection on the paint plus also keep the interiors protected by using UV products and making sure that surfaces do not dry out and crack.
Mobile Car detailers can look after your car when you are parked at work or at home.
It is a great way to save time !
Car Wraps For Paint Protection
If your car's paint job is being damaged by chips and scatches, you can put a protective vinyl wrap over your car. Not only will it keep the paint job pristine, you can also change the colour of the paint.
Please note that car wraps should be kept out of direct sunlight as much as possible as well - Harsh sun can fade the wrap and also cause bubbling if you use a cheap version of wrap.
Happy driving and if you need any car advice or to book in for a service then please look at the services we suggest.