



**TOWN OF MIDDLEBURG
HISTORIC DISTRICT REVIEW COMMITTEE
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES**



Thursday, November 7, 2019

PENDING APPROVAL

The regular meeting of the Historic District Review Committee was held on Thursday, November 7, 2019 in the Town Hall Council Chambers, located at 10 West Marshall Street. Vice Chair Lee called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m.

PRESENT: Punkin Lee, Vice Chair
Virginia Jenkins
Linda Wright
Cindy C. Pearson, Council Representative

STAFF: William M. Moore, Deputy Town Administrator
Rhonda S. North, MMC, Town Clerk
Estee Laclare, Project & Planning Associate

ABSENT: William Turnure, Chair
William Anderson
Tim Clites
Margaret Littleton

Vice Chair Lee advised the Committee that due to the lack of a quorum, no official action could be taken during the meeting; however, the members could discuss the items and provide the applicants with some guidance.

New Business

COA 19-37: Roofing & Repainting – 5 Chinn Lane – Eric & Karen Hediger

Eric Hediger, the applicant, explained that he wanted to change the roof on his house, as well as the paint color. He advised that he had a metal roof on his free-standing garage and a faux slate roof on the house and wanted to replace them both with a new metal roof. Mr. Hediger noted that he was also proposing to replace the gutters and downspouts and to add snow guards to the roof. He advised that the roof would be a bronze color. Mr. Hediger reiterated that he wanted to change the color of the siding on the house and displayed a color sample of the proposed color.

In response to an inquiry from the Committee, Deputy Town Administrator Moore confirmed that the majority of the houses on Chinn Lane had metal roofs; and opined that this may be the last remaining faux slate roof. He noted that most of them were replaced following the 2016 hail storm. Mr. Moore suggested that while the Committee could not take official action on the application, they could provide the applicant with a feel for whether they would approve it so he could take a chance and replace the roof if he chose to do so. He noted that the Committee would then take action during its next regular meeting.

The members agreed they had no problems with the changes as proposed.

COA 19-38: Removal of front porch & certain additions – 308 E. Marshall Street – Tanner Dudley

Tanner and Kyle Dudley appeared before the Committee representing the application. They explained that they were only going to talk about the items that they were proposing to demolish and would return at a later time with their plans for construction. Tanner Dudley advised that they were proposing to demolish the three rear additions and to keep the main portion of the house. He further advised that they were proposing to remove the front porch and would return with plans to replace it with a larger one. Mr. Dudley noted that they were also planning to remove the side awning, collapse the cistern and remove a portion of the stone fencing, located in front of the cistern, to allow for the construction of a driveway. He advised that the addition that they would propose for the rear of the house would be similar to the one on the Stein house that was located next door. Mr. Dudley advised that the sections they were proposing to remove did not contain asbestos and only had a minimal amount of lead paint on the exterior trim. He noted that the house did not contain insulation.

In response to an inquiry from the Committee, Mr. Dudley reiterated that the removal of a portion of the stone wall would allow for the creation of a driveway. He noted that they would leave the wall in place until they received approval from VDOT to construct the driveway. Mr. Dudley advised that they would use the stone to replace some that was missing from other areas of the wall.

Deputy Town Administrator Moore suggested that when the HDRC acted on the application, they condition the approval of the stone wall removal on the applicant obtaining all necessary approvals. He noted that this would include both VDOT and the Town. Mr. Moore explained that he needed to make sure there was sufficient room to allow for a driveway.

In response to an inquiry from the Committee as to whether the applicants could demolish the other portions of the house prior to receiving formal approval, Deputy Town Administrator Moore confirmed they could not. He explained that while the applicants had been in contact with the County about securing a demolition permit, he must issue a zoning permit first and could not do so until the HDRC issued the Certificate of Appropriateness. Mr. Moore suggested that if time was of the essence, the Committee could schedule a special meeting.

In response to an inquiry from the Committee, Mr. Dudley confirmed that his plan was to do the demolition of the additions and porches now and to return later with the plans for their replacement.

The Committee agreed to schedule a special meeting, if possible, in order to address this application. They noted that the demolition appeared to be straight forward and needed to be done.

COA 19-35 (S 19-19): Projecting Sign – 10 South Madison Street – The Community Shop

The applicant was not present to represent this application.

The Committee opined that the design needed to be clearer. They advised that they needed to see the font, font size, colors and plan for the placement of the lettering. The Committee opined that having the hanging sign below that read “Middleburg Humane” was confusing.

Deputy Town Administrator Moore advised the Committee that he needed to determine whether that would be an off-premise sign or whether the Humane Society was an integral part of the business. He noted that he would discuss this with the applicant. Mr. Moore advised that he would pass the Committee’s comments along to her. The Committee suggested that she, or a representative, be present during the next meeting.

COA 19-36 (S 19-20): Hanging Sign – 105 East Washington Street – Emmanuel Church Parish House

The applicant's representative was not present to represent this application.

In response to an inquiry from the Committee, Deputy Town Administrator Moore reported that the hanging sign would be hung from hooks on the porch. Planning & Project Associate Laclare advised that it would be black lettering on a white background.

The Committee expressed concern that the sign appeared to be too large for the space. They questioned whether it needed to include the address and suggested that address numbers be added to the porch so the sign could be smaller. They further suggested that consideration be given to placing the sign on the gate or a post. The Committee expressed concern with the manner in which it was proposed to hang and noted that the wind could be an issue. They noted that as proposed, the sign would block the view of the transom over the door. The Committee suggested the need to have a representative present when this application was again discussed. It was noted that the church planned to plant a tree in this area as well.

Discussion Items

HDRC Design Awards

Deputy Town Administrator Moore advised that Chairman Turnure asked that this be added to the agenda and noted that he had no information on it. He reminded the Committee that last year, they discussed giving out awards for projects in the town to coincide with the awards given by the Middleburg Business & Professional Association in December. Mr. Moore suggested there was no rush to do this and recommended the Committee wait until Chairman Turnure was present.

Demolition of House at Intersection of Reed/Stonewall – Coe Eldredge

The Committee noted that Mr. Eldredge demolished the small house at the intersection of Reed and Stonewall.

Deputy Town Administrator Moore reminded the Committee that the house was not located within the Historic District. He suggested that within the next few months, the Committee would discuss the district's boundaries. Mr. Moore reminded them that when the Historic District Survey was last updated, it contained a recommendation to change the boundaries of the National Historic District. He further reminded them that the boundaries for the National District were not the same as the ones for the Middleburg Historic District. Mr. Moore advised that he would not propose changes to the National District but would recommend the Committee look at the possibility of changing some of the boundaries of the Town's district as they did not make sense and cut through some properties. He reminded the Committee that the Historic District was a zoning overlay and advised that if they wished to change the boundaries, it would require a public hearing process before the Planning Commission and Town Council as it would be considered a rezoning. Mr. Moore noted that this would be a long process. He suggested that when the Committee discussed this, they would discuss the criteria for when a property should be included in the district. Mr. Moore advised that he expected it would contain both contributing and non-contributing structures; however, it would be harder to justify including a non-contributing structure if it was located on the edge of the district. He reminded the members that a contributing structure was one that was built in 1966 or earlier.

The Committee noted that they had held discussions previously about bringing the Ridgeview areas into the Historic District in order to avoid the demolition of houses in order to construct "McMansions".

Deputy Town Administrator Moore suggested this area be considered for a separate overlay district that would follow separate guidelines. He noted that the Planning Commission was expected to discuss amendments to the zoning ordinance, such as the height regulations, that would address some of the Committee's concerns.

December Meeting Quorum

Those members who were present indicated they would be present for the December 5th meeting.

Deputy Town Administrator Moore advised the Committee that he would send them an email identifying possible dates for a special meeting.

There being no further business, the meeting was adjourned at 6:20 p.m.

RESPECTFULLY SUBMITTED:

Rhonda S. North, MMC, Town Clerk

HDRC Meeting Transcript – November 7, 2019

(Note: This is a transcript prepared by a Town contractor based on the video of the meeting. It may not be entirely accurate. For greater accuracy, we encourage you to review the video of the meeting that is on the Town's website – www.middleburgva.gov)

Punkin Lee: I like to call the meeting to order, please. Let's start with the roll call.

Will Moor: Will Moor, Deputy Town Administrator.

Punkin Lee: Punkin Lee.

Linda Wright: Linda Wright.

Virginia Jenkins: Virginia Jenkins.

Cindy Pierson: Cindy Pierson

Rhonda North: Rhonda North, Town Clerk.

Punkin Lee: Thank you. Unfortunately, we appear not to have a quorum this evening, so we cannot take any official actions, but we have two applicants here that we would be delighted to have a discussion with you, so we're not just throwing you out in the rain. So we'll skip the first two were signs because neither one of those people are here and go to COA 19-37, requests of Eric and Karen Hediger for roofing and repainting at 5 Chinn Ln. If you'd like to walk us through your request, please.

Eric Hediger: Yes, ma'am. Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. This is my first such application meeting, so I'm not sure what the protocol is, but we appreciate your consideration. As some of you know, we've recent residents here in Middleburg, we just moved in July. One of the first things we noted was that we would be making exterior changes, the roof number one, and the paint color number two. So our application is for just those two items. So what we've done through due diligence on this kind of work in the community, we've decided to choose Piedmont Roofing as our contractor. Their experience, I think, speaks for itself. They have put roof over homes on Chinn Lane and actually over the garage in our yard. We have an interesting situation, as many homes around here, have a freestanding garage, which has got the metal roof that we want. Piedmont put that in. several years ago. And over the main home we have this synthetic faux slate that we'd dearly love to replace as soon as possible. And it's going to be consistent with the metal roof over the garage. So Piedmont came to do the estimate. I met with Tim Reid, the president of the company, and did that early this week and he provided me a proposal which we would love to sign and begin to execute as soon as his work frees up. He's telling me that it's a 50/50 chance we can get it done this year, so it may slide to the spring, but we'd like to have basically a metal seam roof, 24 gauge steel, no vent flaps, just the steel rolled over the ridge top. We would replace the gutters and the downspouts. The gutters are in bad shape and are leaking right now, particularly in the back. So that's the roof situation. We would add the snow guards on it. We think this is totally consistent with the character of the street of the historic district in which we are privileged to reside. So I think this is gonna be an improvement. The exterior color will change in part. The white trim around the windows will stay white. Actually it'll be repainted white. The black shutters on the black door would stay black. And the siding we would like to, as I said on my application, paint change the color on that to a more of a... [Inaudible]. Pass that around. [Off mic].

Linda Wright: And the roof as the bronze color?

Eric Hediger: The roof of the bronze color, yes. It would be consistent with the roof color that's over the garage, so I understand that's bronze. If somebody needs an exact, you know, serial number or model number, we can provide that.

Linda Wright: [Inaudible] a lot different [inaudible].

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic]. Stop it. Are there any other metal roofs on Chinn Lane?

Will Moore: Quite a number.

Virginia Jenkins: I only ask that because at one time when Dean built them, they were only the [inaudible].

Will Moore: Right.

Virginia Jenkins: [Inaudible] slate.

Will Moore: Yeah, there are quite a number, especially...

Virginia Jenkins: I know that was a specification he added one time.

Will Moore: Right. There are quite a number, especially in those first four lots on each side of lane, which are in the historic district. Quite a number, if not, this may actually be the last remaining one [inaudible].

Eric Hediger: We're the only pink roof on the street. [Multiple speakers] In particular after the hailstorm [multiple speakers] a number of people came in and got the committee's approval for [inaudible].

Virginia Jenkins: I mean, I'm certainly not opposed to a metal roof. I just wanted to make sure because I know at one time it was just that I lived there. That's all.

Cindy Pearson: [Inaudible] hail damage on your tin roof.

Eric Hediger: We have a lovely situation. [Laughter]. Or really a blend.

Cindy Pearson: You should've seen town after that hailstorm.

Eric Hediger: Yes Ma'am. [Inaudible].

Will Moore: So a unique situation in that you don't have a quorum, so you can't take official action. However, what we've done in the very rare situations like this in the past, you can kind of give the applicant a feel. You wouldn't be able to take action until at least next month officially. But unless you, the members present here, have any concerns, you could essentially give him the peace of mind that he could go forward at his own risk pending the official action next month, but let's just say hypothetically, all four of you here were you've had no issues with it. I think that could help him. But I think the starting point is whether or not you have any concerns with his application.

Virginia Jenkins: That's my question satisfactorily answered.

Punkin Lee: I think the color change will be very nice.

Linda Wright: Yeah, I have no problem with any of those.

Cindy Pearson: And I'm not really a voting member. I just sit here as the council representative. So it's really [off mic].

Eric Hediger: I appreciate your concurrence. I understand it's not actionable. I guess I'm gonna hold off on the contract.

Punkin Lee: Do we make a recommendation or?

Will Moore: You can make a recommendation to him if you'd like.

Punkin Lee: Would anyone like to [inaudible]? Either one of you? [Off mic]. Make a recommendation based on approval next month.

Will Moore: I think the point is made. I think the point seems made. Again, they can't officially take action 'til next month, but I think they're giving you the feeling that if you wish to go ahead and sign the contract, you'd probably be okay to do so.

Linda Wright: I can't imagine you turned down.

Will Moore: Right.

Eric Hediger: I promise you, it'll be a beautiful home. I did want to add [inaudible] Will. The majority of the homes on that street now are metal roofs, and they're all the same. Pretty much the same color except the one right across the street. So we're going to be completely consistent.

Punkin Lee: [Multiple speakers]. Thank you.

Eric Hediger: We're done? Thank you so much.

Punkin Lee: Thank you for coming in.

Eric Hediger: Thank you.

Punkin Lee: Now we go to COA 19-38 request of Tanner Dudley for removal of the front porch and certain additions at 308 East Marshall Street. Thank you all for coming back.

Tanner Dudley: Thank you. Good to see you again.

Cindy Pearson: Did y'all find some really good things in there since you've been?

Tanner Dudley: We actually did. [Off mic]. There's not much space in that house. It's small. so we didn't expect to find much. But in the attic, just above the last place that we were demoing on the second floor, there was a little crawl space and inside that was a box of letters that we'll hand over to James, obviously. And then also a couple other really, really cool things.

Kyle Dudley: Thomas Edison phonograph.

Tanner Dudley: A phonograph. [Multiple speakers]. So that I mean that roof was not insulated.

Kyle Dudley: Yeah.

Tanner Dudley: But it's in pristine condition.

Kyle Dudley: No termite damage throughout the house. It's unbelievable. [Off mic]. Pretty incredible.

Tanner Dudley: And so we we sent along, Will, we sent along this document. Have folks seen this? So it's 13 pages, a lot here, but I think really we just wanted to talk to you through the items that we're planning to demolish. So there's really items that we're demolishing and then also just a heads up on what we found as we pulled the house apart in terms of original materials on the original portion of the house. I don't think there's nothing in the COA application that refers to building anything back yet. Just so that you know when we come back later that we're probably referencing that. So there are several items in terms of demolition off the rear portion of the house. The main portion of the house is fully intact. We plan to maintain that in the renovation. But there have been three subsequent additions in the back. We'd like to take those out since they're not contributing. The front porch will need to be taken off and we intend to put back. And our plan is to make it larger. And we'll be coming back with those plans subsequently, but this is again, an approval to get it removed. There's a side awning as an entrance to the basement. Again, it's falling down, needs to be taken off. The cistern that I think this group is familiar with on the side part of the house we're gonna collapse that. We've drained it. We're going to collapse that. And then I think where there'll be questions from this group a portion of the stone wall in the front that is in front of the cistern, which we did anticipate would eventually be access for a driveway. Now, that's something separately that we'll need to talk through in terms of access with the town and through this process, but these are the items that we have in our mind of removing. And I'll just stop there if Will you have any comments or if folks here have questions. We can talk through this page by page. We've put together a little diagram that explains what we're talking about on the second page. This and then photos that correspond to each of the pieces. What would be most helpful for you all?

Punkin Lee: Is there anything in the demolition of these additions that has to have a public hearing?

Will Moore: No. These portions [multiple speakers]. Correct. [Inaudible]. Yes.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Kyle Dudley: Yes.

Tanner Dudley: Yes.

Kyle Dudley: Very similar to the adjacent house. Exactly what we're planning to do.

Tanner Dudley: That's [inaudible] house.

Kyle Dudley: Yeah, [inaudible]. We're looking to mirror that essentially. Single story.

Linda Wright: [Off mic]. Keep any of that. [Off mic]. [Laughter]. [Multiple speakers].

Punkin Lee: Is there much asbestos in all of this?

Kyle Dudley: No. [Multiple speakers]. We had it tested for lead.

Punkin Lee: It's always just everything was being removed with just a dumpster service, so I was like, about the asbestos?

Kyle Dudley: No.

Tanner Dudley: No asbestos found. Minimal lead on interior trim.

Punkin Lee: Good.

Kyle Dudley: Yeah. And then miraculously... [Off mic]. Yeah, there's no insulation within the walls. [Off mic]. It has a recent, they added a boiler heater to the basement I would say within the last 10 years somebody put that in. So there some duct work.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Kyle Dudley: Did you get a picture of the stone wall? [Multiple speakers].

Tanner Dudley: There's a section, so in terms of creating it access part of the driveway, we anticipated since the stone wall is in pretty bad shape, particularly this portion that's right essentially in front of the cistern on the right hand side of the house, we would remove that and that would punch in as a driveway.

Punkin Lee: Would you leave that standing until you get the VDOT approval for that? I mean, it would stay as it is until?

Tanner Dudley: Yes. The plan was to this would be the last that occurs. We just wanted to, I thought there would be questions from this group, so we wanted to raise it as soon as we could.

Kyle Dudley: And then we would plan to you because we will need to rebuild the sections on the other side. We will need more stones because it's so deteriorated that it'd be great to have those stones to be able to...

Linda Wright: Use again, yeah.

Kyle Dudley: Yeah. So we're not going to leave the site, we're just looking for an access point.

Will Moore: So I noted just kind of quickly in my report, and it's kind of moot because you can't take official action again tonight., but a suggestion was you could, if and when you do take action on his application, approve removal of the stone wall, subject to getting the other necessary approvals, which are from the town and from VDOT. And the town in as much as we need to make sure, we've not seen a sketch plan of where this driveway will go, we need to make sure it meets requirements for the town. In particular there's a setback required from the property to the east, meaning there's a five foot setback between property line and a driveway. So we just need to make sure that there's sufficient room to get one in.

Cindy Pearson: I would think if you didn't do anything to the stone wall until you get those approvals.

Punkin Lee: Right.

Cindy Pearson: Would be the key. And then with the other things, it looks like you need to... Or can they go ahead and move along with the other things or how does that?

Will Moore: They cannot, I think I'm not sure what time frame, they have submitted to the county for a demolition permit. The county is ready to approve, but they're waiting. I can't. They're waiting on a zoning permit. I can't issue that zoning permit until a COA is approved. So unlike the last applicant who has the kind of ability to move forward at his own risk, they don't. If time is of the essence, we could pull the other members as to availability to see if we could get in a special meeting sometime in the next week or two rather than have them wait until your regular meeting in December.

Tanner Dudley: There is a regular meeting in December correct?

Will Moore: There is.

Tanner Dudley: It would be I assume the first week of December.

Will Moore: Correct. [Inaudible], correct.

Kyle Dudley: We don't want to push you guys into that to gain an extra couple of weeks. We [inaudible] make you guys that to me specifically for that.

Will Moore: And I think the committee appreciates that, but at the same time we don't want to inconvenience you unnecessarily. What we have here is a very odd situation. There were a couple of emergency situations that came up, unfortunately.

Tanner Dudley: The committee needs to convene in person. This can't be done electronically.

Will Moore: Correct.

Tanner Dudley: OK.

Linda Wright: We've done this many times before. [Laughter].

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Tanner Dudley: [Multiple speakers] pretty rough shape, so yeah. The plan was to do all the demolition at once.

Cindy Pearson: With the weather going to change if you can get a couple weeks in [inaudible] help, so maybe you could see you can find the time?

Tanner Dudley: And I would say just to make sure we don't try to reconvene, folks. Let's if we check times and then we'll confirm because obviously there's holidays for you all in the next few weeks, so we don't need to. If it ends up being in December, that's fine. If we could check. That's great, and we'll make the trip and that's great.

Will Moore: OK. I'll send out. I'll try to get three or four dates where I know the room would be available in a week or two and then I'll send that out to you tomorrow early. And if you could respond back with your availability and hopefully the other members will as well. We'll see if it's possible to get in.

Tanner Dudley: We appreciate that.

Kyle Dudley: And is this something I might be able to represent on it? If Tanner is, it's just it's a much longer trip for him.

Will Moore: Absolutely.

Kyle Dudley: So as long as I'm here.

Tanner Dudley: Great. [Laughter].

Will Moore: Are there any other questions maybe the members present have for the applicants while they're here? Any major concerns?

Punkin Lee: I think the demolition requests are pretty out there, straightforward. It's not like you could do this, do it, or save it. I think it's...

Linda Wright: It needs to be done.

Punkin Lee: Right.

Tanner Dudley: Yeah, and I think, you know, we also just we flagged on page 10 the exterior materials we've seen in the home that we've peeled back a few things that there's board and [inaudible] siding.

Kyle Dudley: On two sides.

Tanner Dudley: On two sides.

Kyle Dudley: And then the additions had the horizontal [inaudible] siding, which is what did the first meeting we came to we had expected. So we found both, and we're thinking of using a combination of that once we come back with our plans to propose.

Tanner Dudley: So this the stucco is not original. And then the cedar shingles are not original. It's been cobbled together over the years. There's a lot of little bits and pieces in that house. So again, no action now. Just as a note for when we come back later.

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic]. [Multiple speakers].

Kyle Dudley: 11 floors we've peeled out. Eleven vinyl floors on my own.

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic]. [Multiple speakers].

Kyle Dudley: 11. [Inaudible]. [Multiple speakers].

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic].

Tanner Dudley: No, just the front. [Multiple speakers]. The main part of the house.

Virginia Jenkins: When vinyl was the new thing.

Will Moore: OK.

Punkin Lee: Everybody okay with what we can do?

Linda Wright: Yeah.

Tanner Dudley: All right.

Punkin Lee: Thank you all.

Tanner Dudley: Thank you very much.

Kyle Dudley: Thank you guys.

Tanner Dudley: Appreciate it.

Linda Wright: [Off mic].

Tanner Dudley: Appreciate the effort to accommodate.

Will Moore: I'll be in touch with you.

Tanner Dudley: Great. Thanks, Will.

Will Moore: Thank you.

Tanner Dudley: Appreciate it. [Off mic]. Thanks, you too.

Will Moore: Are there any comments? Maybe the committee would want to make on record or suggestions regarding the other two applicants that I could pass on to those applicants in between now and the when you might meet next?

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Punkin Lee: I think the first one was [inaudible] application of the completed sign as far as color [multiple speakers] and the size. [Inaudible] recycling the sign, but still.

Will Moore: OK. So really it's the font and the size. She does have the color available in hard copy that she will bring to a meeting.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic]. More yellowy?

Will Moore: It's on the color card. [Laughter]. She does have a color card that she was...

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: It will be specified when she attends the meeting. Then we can take note.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: Yes ma'am.

Virginia Jenkins: Some further examples of the font, the size of the font, and colors.

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic].

Punkin Lee: The Middleburg Humane looks like it's a hanging down like the chocolate [inaudible]. But then if you look at what's this in the lower left hand corner? [Inaudible] the dog?

Will Moore: Yeah, that was a sketch that's not part of the sign. The Middleburg Humane [off mic] is hanging down. If you compare that to the photograph in the original sign it's where the, yeah. Yes.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: There's going to be some relationship between the shop and, right.

Linda Wright: But it's confusing because we were talking about I thought it was a shop run by Middleburg [inaudible]. [Off mic]. Not something that's going to benefit from it.

Will Moore: Understood.

Linda Wright: I mean, maybe they could put something under consignments and thrift for the benefit of and then drop Middleburg Humane under that or something. I mean, something. [Off mic]. Well, true. It is. [Off mic].

Will Moore: OK. Well, we can certainly pass through.

Linda Wright: Or maybe it just doesn't need to be on there. Does she really want to? I don't know. They could put signage in the store that explains it or something rather than on the sign on the street or I don't know. I don't know what the answer to that is. [Off mic].

Punkin Lee: And like the Middleburg bride when she had those little. And then getting them in the right order, it made sense. But the first presentation was....

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: Yeah, I need to determine if if they can have it from a zoning standpoint. Is that an off site sign or is it integral to the business? If she meets the requirement of being integral to the business, then it's more. This body doesn't regulate copy. But I think it's worth having that discussion. Is that you can have that discussion with her and we can certainly pass on that comment that it's a little confusing.

Virginia Jenkins: [Inaudible] suggest she'd be at the meeting?

Will Moore: Oh, yes, absolutely.

Virginia Jenkins: Or at least have some representative.

Linda Wright: Somebody should be here.

Punkin Lee: Any other comments on that one?

Virginia Jenkins: Nope.

Punkin Lee: Let me go to [inaudible] for their son for the parish house.

Will Moore: And again, Ms. Warren was expected to be here. [Off mic]. Yes. Yes.

Punkin Lee: Is it just hanging by hooks right up under the..?

Will Moore: Right up under the [multiple speakers]. Correct.

Punkin Lee: It's hanging on the front of the porch or over the front door. [Inaudible].

Will Moore: The front of the porch. [Multiple speakers]. Correct.

Virginia Jenkins: And suddenly [inaudible]. Oh, I'm just going to go to the parish house. OK. Whatever.

Punkin Lee: May just look like it's black and white [inaudible].

Will Moore: Correct.

Punkin Lee: To match the trim on the building.

Virginia Jenkins: It looks like green to me. [Off mic]. Black? The sign?

Linda Wright: It's just the picture. It looks rather large in the photograph or the mock-up here. It just looks big. If you look at this, this is green. [Off mic]. I like that.

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic].

Linda Wright: It does. The mock-up looks quite large.

Will Moore: So it's interesting. So, yes, she did have two signs. She had a smaller version which was essentially illegible. Just considering where this sits the idea is that this would be seen and legible from the sidewalk. [Off mic]. Correct.

Linda Wright: You have to have the address on the sign?

Virginia Jenkins: That's what I was going to ask.

Cindy Pearson: But do they have it anywhere else? Is the address on the building?

Virginia Jenkins: Not that I know of, no. [Inaudible] parish house. I mean, [inaudible] the numbers. I mean, [multiple speakers] it's Washington Street, but you don't need...

Linda Wright: What's going to keep that from just in the wind? Yeah. [Inaudible].

Will Moore: Foot and a half. [Multiple speakers].

Virginia Jenkins: [Inaudible] by 72. I personally would suggest they not have the address on the sign and maybe make it a little narrower and then just put a numbers on the building somewhere. [Off mic].

Will Moore: Some do. Some do.

Linda Wright: But not generally on the sign. It's on the building.

Will Moore: But some, some do have it, a few.

Punkin Lee: I think nice to if they had a signpost at the gate.

Linda Wright: Well, like they've always had.

Punkin Lee: Right.

Linda Wright: Like they always had.

Punkin Lee: Right.

Linda Wright: There was the gate out on the sidewalk. [Inaudible]. Where the sign always stood like out here. Other than there.

Punkin Lee: 'Cause they still have a signpost there.

Linda Wright: They do?

Punkin Lee: I think so.

Linda Wright: They've had the last school sign on it and now that's gone. I think it's gonna be really hard with the wind to keep that thing up there. [Off mic]. [Laughter].

Virginia Jenkins: You just haven't been to a church recently . [Laughter].

Linda Wright: [Off mic]. Right here.

Virginia Jenkins: Oh, that far down?

Linda Wright: Yeah. To the left of that planting.

Virginia Jenkins: You know, it's been there so long you don't get to see it anymore.

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic].

Virginia Jenkins: Oh. She's the one that's coming.

Linda Wright: [Inaudible] right there. It's to the right of the gate. That's an old picture.

Virginia Jenkins: Is she in charge of this? [Inaudible].

Will Moore: She's she's underwriting this for them as well.

Virginia Jenkins: I see.

Will Moore: Correct.

Virginia Jenkins: OK. [Inaudible].

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic].

Punkin Lee: It's in your face pretty good. [Multiple speakers].

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic].

Virginia Jenkins: It sort of blocks the sight line of the door.

Cindy Pearson: [Off mic]. [Multiple speakers].

Linda Wright: I would just think from driving it would be better to have it out in the front of the property instead of on the building.

Punkin Lee: Yeah.

Linda Wright: Does that set that far back? I think it's hard to see. But anyway.

Punkin Lee: Plus, they're going to plant a tree.

Linda Wright: Right here.

Punkin Lee: Right there.

Linda Wright: Yeah.

Punkin Lee: Because she's been to [inaudible] a couple times about a tree plant there. So you put that there and then plant the tree that you're covering up the sign any way.

Will Moore: She may be back to you to talk about the tree plantings.

Punkin Lee: At least we remembered the tree.

Will Moore: Yes. [Inaudible]. Of course.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: Mr. Turnure did ask me to put a discussion item on that you see for awards, but he gave me no... He just asked for it. He was going to lead that discussion. So I don't have anything to prepare for you. [Off mic]. Not necessarily. Not necessarily. I think the original idea. [Off mic]. Yeah, the original idea that this committee discussed was to potentially do awards in December of each year, potentially. So it would have had a deadline. But there's nothing established. Right. And there was I think that was to try to maybe marry the timing of those awards with the MBPA awards was the idea of trying to do some awards in December, but without him here to lead the discussion on this I think that would probably not happen in that timeline, at least unless we get a special meeting in the next week or two and he's back for that. Then maybe we could have that discussion as well.

Punkin Lee: I have a question.

Will Moore: Yes ma'am.

Punkin Lee: Those three houses that [inaudible] built and we all had to look at them.

Will Moore: Yes.

Punkin Lee: How did you tear the other one down and that didn't?

Will Moore: It's not in the district.

Punkin Lee: OK. [Multiple speakers].

Will Moore: Yes. [Multiple speakers].

Linda Wright: Where'd it go?

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: Correct. So with that in mind, sometime in probably the next few months we'll be bringing a discussion item to you about the boundaries of the local historic district and we'll be looking at those. The 2016 historic district survey that we had when we updated our survey, that included some recommendations for boundary changes to the district. When I say to the district, though, that's to the national register district. So that district doesn't match the boundaries of our local district. Our local district is the one where we have the regulatory authority. So there are some parts of the National Register district that or I should say that are some places that are in the national register district, but not in the local district and vice versa. There are some places like the three lots to [inaudible] built on on Reed Street or in our local district, but they're not in the national registered district. So we'll get you an exhibit that shows the boundaries of each of those two and the boundaries revision recommendations that came out of that survey, and maybe there's a way. I don't think we'll be proposing any changes in the near term to the

National Register district, but there might be some revisions to the local district that makes sense, either contracting or expanding in certain areas.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: It's both sides of Marshall to a point. It cuts kind of diagonally from Reed Street across Marshall. It runs almost lengthwise width, I should say Stonewall at that point. It crosses over roughly to the north side of Stonewall, roughly in the area of the community center's gravel parking lot. And then by the time you get to the first structure, which is the home that was converted to an office, that property is in the district. It is, correct.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: And that is I think that property may actually also be in the National Register district. And that's one of the places where they recommended revising it to take that property out. So that could be a conversation do we revise our local boundary so it matches property lines better. So what happened if you see the original town grid on the map on the wall there, the way the local district was established they took this rectangle and they went out a certain distance. I think roughly 300 feet in each direction from the original grid and made a larger rectangle, but the edges of that don't generally make sense. They cut through properties, they cut through some neighborhoods. And that's how you get some situations on Reed Street, for example. Most, but not all of the properties on the east side of Reed Street are in the district, but not the northern most one with the corner. Most on the west side or not, but a couple are because that rectangle goes like this. So that grabs the [inaudible] property directly across the street from those lots that [inaudible] built on, but a couple further south from that are not. So it's just an odd.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: But they're not, right. Yes. [Inaudible]. So I think we'll have some interesting discussions when we bring that forward to you.

Linda Wright: Yeah.

Will Moore: That would be a process. If you wanted to revise your local boundaries you would essentially we would look for recommendations from you. We could probably work on that for several months and then we would take that and then give it to the planning commission because officially that's a zoning district, an overlay zoning district. So it would be any revisions to that boundary would technically be a rezoning and we would have to go through a process. Yes. [Multiple speakers]. [Laughter]. It's very true.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Linda Wright: It's just the front. Not the [inaudible] ones. Yeah, it's weird.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Linda Wright: Yeah.

Will Moore: Yeah. So and again, back to Chinn Lane that's an you know, the entire neighborhood was built essentially at once. [Off mic]. Yeah. Yeah. Right. Yeah. Roughly.

Linda Wright: [Inaudible] all at the same time.

Will Moore: But as you come from Marshall Street, the first four lots on either side, so the first eight lots in the subdivision are in the historic district and then you go down the street and none of the rest are. And it begs the question should those be regulated by a historic district?

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Will Moore: So we'll have to have some discussions about, you know, what criteria of make something appropriate to be included in a district.

Cindy Pearson: [off mic]

Will Moore: So no. But so districts and districts because they're a district it's not individual property is it. It's a district. It's expected that there will be both what we call contributing and non contributing structures within the district. And that makes sense. So somebody who has a non contributing structure that's in the middle of a district that might say, well, why is my property being regulated? It's not historic. No, it's not. But you're surrounded by all sides by properties that are. When you get on the edges of the district it's a little different. It's it's harder to justify, including properties that are on the periphery of the historic district. It's hard to justify their inclusion if they're not contributing structures. And contributing structures are going to be, amongst other things. Those are built in 1966 or 67 and before that, just the age does not itself make it a contributing structure. But anything after that, even if it's a very nice, nicely designed architectural home is not going to be a contributing structure. So we'll have some discussions when we start talking about the boundaries and what kind of things you should be considering there.

Linda Wright: With that age range. I know long ago we'd had discussions about whether Ridgeview would all totally come in. [Inaudible] with the ages.

Will Moore: Right.

Linda Wright: That would really expand the district.

Will Moore: Right. Right. Or become a separate district. So what many localities will have multiple historic districts and those districts might have different design guidelines based on their...

Punkin Lee: Wasn't the Ridgeview discussions kind of so somebody bought two lots and then demolished. Right. They took up the whole, you know, it changes the whole dynamic of what's there.

Will Moore: And we're gonna be looking at other things on the planning side that might help to address that as well. So it might not be architectural design necessarily, but it might be revisions to height standards so that you can't build with certain mass.

Linda Wright: [Inaudible] massing and scale.

Punkin Lee: [Inaudible] we had a blocks. [Inaudible].

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Linda Wright: It all started with the first house that was right on 50.

Punkin Lee: Right.

Linda Wright: When they put that house up, started that whole will discussion.

Punkin Lee: Across from Margaret and Trow.

Linda Wright: Right across Margaret and Trow's house.

Punkin Lee: Right next to the house with a flag pole and then the next one that just kind of got in there. [Off mic]. All right. Is everyone here for next month?

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Punkin Lee: The 5th.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Punkin Lee: Tree lighting the 6th and Christmas in Middleburg on Saturday.

Linda Wright: And here we go.

Virginia Jenkins: [Off mic].

Linda Wright: That's why they are already advertising all the Black Friday sales. [Inaudible].

Will Moore: OK. So again, I'll email you tomorrow and with some possible dates for the next maybe two weeks or week and a half that if you're available that we might be able to get a special meeting so that the Mr. Dudley might be able to move forward.

Punkin Lee: Anything else?

Will Moore: Thank you.

Punkin Lee: We're adjourned.