

9 Aug 2019 7:17 p.m. mtg commences

Roll call/Introductions around the table

Sung Yim, Carols Kuri (Sword Masters coach), Charles Johnson (SW Florida Fencing coach), Alexander Gromov (ProFencing Academy), Maria Cunanan (OFA/Trinity Prep Club representative), Ken Lauver, Thomas Cheng, Annie Kwong, Greg Arthur (IronWorks coach), Hendricks Navarez (Swordmasters fencing dad; unsure why he was able to vote as he is a non EC member)

Per bylaws, need  $\frac{1}{3}$  quorum of 16 total EC members and there are 10 present (11 counting Ryan Wheeler's concerns/perspectives relayed via email prior to meeting)

Voting quorum bylaw (of  $\frac{1}{3}$ ) needs clarification as Sung Yim says his EC members for OFA (Leandro Durand) and Orlando Science High School (Kevin O'Connor) are unable to attend meeting and have delegated their votes to him so he is voting for them, not necessarily how they would vote if they were present at the meeting to vote themselves.

Question then arose as to whether that is correct process; for instance, Ryan Wheeler is unable to attend, thus, he relayed his concerns/perspectives to Annie/Tom; and Annie voted RW's interests as his proxy.

Should voting bylaws be clarified/spelled out regarding voting by proxy, so that the proxy is voting/representing the interest of the EC member he/she is standing in for and not voting their own interests?

## Agenda

- 1) **3-strip purchase from South Africa approved past administration; but no meeting minutes found.**

Linda Philips, past secretary; past officers present at meeting verbally verified purchase of strips

Per Charlie, order to purchase strips should have come from Jennifer Seachrist, and then Ken Lauver would have cut a check for it and then a done deal. But that did not happen so that is why strips purchase is now on the agenda.

Strips (s/s bonded to rubber mat) need to be picked up at Port of Tampa.

\$1,350/strip / \$90 per bag / S&H \$300 ... \$4,620 total

Tom Cheng will ask for PDF invoice: taxes, import duties, sans VAT

TC will move forward once he gets actionable info from SY.

Sell 6 strips (now in storage) for scrap—*voted upon during previous administration with no meeting minutes provided or found*; buy 3 from S. Africa

ECOG (equip consortium; the Dunedin group?) in Tampa has all the strips, reels, equipment for CFL Div clubs to rent; multiple clubs have ownership of said equipment.

SY wants to bring all equipment belonging to CFL Division back to Orlando.

Per KL, the ECOG has been holding on to CFL Division equipment from last big tournament; no one made trip to Tampa to pick up yet. ECOG has it because majority of big tournaments were happening in West FL, thus, no reason to bring back to Orlando b/c most clubs here have their own strips.

Decided: 3 new strips stay in Orlando; existing strips stay in Tampa

## 2) Club/tournament financial support ~passes~

Passes for IronWorks tournament 5 October 2019, Saturday; Venue Cost \$600

Committee formed (RW, MC, AK) to decide criteria for club/venue/tournament assistance before next club is selected.

SY: Proposal: Let's pick a club. This time I am going to pick IronWorks to sponsor their tournament by paying for their venue, ok? What I'm asking you to do is vote on this issue where we will support local club that needs support. It's \$600. And down the road, let's pick some other club as well and help them grow their business.

KL: The way SY wrote the initial email re: this matter made it sound like the Division would absorb the entire cost (venue, equipment rentals, et al) of the tournament, and that the host was going to keep all the tournament proceeds.

MC: How many tournaments are you planning to sponsor a year? Are you going to sponsor just the venue? If you do, are you going to cap the amount or cover only a percentage of the venue cost (because venue costs will vary) to be fair? How do you categorize the smaller clubs? How do you qualify for financial sponsorship?

SY: Those were the same questions RW had. So let me explain it to you since this was my idea to begin with. As far as the amount is concerned, whatever the venue cost, we will support, that is my proposal. As long as how often as we're going to do, I was thinking once a year, one club a year.

CK: I think what he (RW) saying is there needs to be a process after this club selection, set some rules, what are criteria for club selection.

SY: As far as selection process is concerned, I will pick as the chairman.

MC: So you have to write it down before we vote that the chairman will pick every single year. Right? Because ....

KL: That should be something we vote on I think ...

AK: That's what I thought the initial plan was: chairman selects club and EC members vote. It's not a unilateral decision.

SY: That's what I am proposing: I need \$600, and I'd like to help IronWorks.

MC: Is this going to be like just for this year? How long is your term?

SY: 1 year.

MC: OK, is this just going to be for this year because this is going to be the first time and so then next year, the next chairman would be thinking, "Do I have to continue with your thinking or what we did this year?"

SY: If the next chairman decides not to do this program, then it's up to him/her. I hope it will be a successful tournament; if it is, then there's no reason not to continue.

KL: Just as a point of reference, UCF we have never made any money on any of our tournaments. We do it to publicize that we've got a club, school—attracts people to the school and Central Florida and showcase the facility. The biggest expense is the referees. When you have a 2-day event, you have to add the lodging. There are other things that the CFD may want to consider spending money on, for example, Maia Slowinski recently won a gold at the Maccabi games. She also requested money to go to worlds that she qualified for. There are people in our division who might need financial assistance to go to international competitions. They've tossed around scholarships for clubs. There are a lot of things we can do with our money, so I want to make sure you're understanding the whole thing.

SY: Ok.

CJ: The whole thing with helping individual athletes would be really a good thing if we could do that because I've got one where we leave for South Korean in September for the parachampionships. If we can come up with a policy for helping individuals that would be a very good thing. And the division now, thanks to certain people, has pretty well healed compared to what it has been in the past.

MC: How much money are we talking about right now? What's the balance in the ledger?

KL: I will be finishing it up and passing it along. Who am I passing it along to?

TC: Me

KL: OK

SY: You can CC: me on it.

KL: The last email said to do it with you (SY).

SY: We can bring up the scholarship during next meeting.

KL: You can't bring up new items in a meeting?

SY: There's a certain agenda I want to go through first.

AK: Are we still on club tournament and support?

SY: Let's take a vote.

AK: Not yet, I found RW's email dated 6 June 2019:

RW's concern re: club/tournament financial support: As far as helping places run tournaments, I think it's a great idea but that we need some sort of structure or ruling we are doing (loaning strips? giving discount? paying for venue up to \$x dollars? paying for refs?). Randomly giving out arbitrary amounts is not a good practice, let's get some rules in place, such as how often we will do this, what the division is responsible for, etc.

SY: I answered all those questions didn't I, right now?

KL: I don't think I was copied on it.

AK: No.

TC: So what is the structure? Right now, it's random.

AK: What we're saying is that right now, there's no structure in place.

SY: It's not random. I'm going to pick a club we're going to help, this will happen once a year and we're going to pay for the venue. What else do you need to know?

GA: And you're going to vote on it.

AK: Are we loaning strips?

SY: As long as strips are concerned, we're only going to pay for the venue.

AK: Up to X amount of dollars?

SY: No, I don't believe that—we're going to pay for the venue.

AK relaying RW's views: Randomly giving out arbitrary amounts is not a good practice, let's get some rules in place like how often we will do this, what the division is responsible for, etc.

SY: That's his opinion, and if he prefers to vote no then he can vote no.

AG: (inaudible)

KL: Can I make a suggestion?

SY: Yeah.

KL: When we're asking clubs to host events for us as a division, when people step up to host a tournament, we reimburse them \$5 per individual fencer for the use of facilities. I'm just proposing that there could be a reimbursement per fencer.

KL: I'll say one thing here, I'm not entirely sure I'm comfortable with the chair choosing the club. But in this particular case, I've been working with Greg for years and years and years, and I know he's totally honest and there's no way he's going to blow that money on something other than the venue. So I don't have a problem with it going to IronWorks, but I'm not entirely sure you've looked at all the other clubs that may have a need. That's the only question. I'm sure you didn't call UCF cause I would have told you we don't make any money on our tournaments.

SY: Ken, I sent everybody an email, I wanted to sit down with everybody, right? These guys invited me in, you guys didn't.

KL: The point's still solid.

AG: Yes.

CK: The chair makes a suggestion and the board evaluates the candidates or reasons to vote yes or no. Let's put a limit on how much you can pay for the venue. I think what you say finds the perfect balance. You just have to justify it. I want \$2,000, why? Because I want to bring this many fencers, how? And then there's a kickback to the division for the sport ... (inaudible)

MC/AK: I think there has to be a limit.

AK: Correct, because we are on a budget and if you listen to what's been going on in this meeting, everything so far is an expenditure. There's nothing coming in.

SY: We're going to talk about that later.

KL: We've got some money coming in. (Last meeting was 18 May 2019)

SY: Let's vote on it, get it over with.

CJ: Someone needs to put it into a proposal form so that we can actually know exactly what it is we're voting on.

SY: But we talked about it. You're going to write it?

KL: So to make it official, the proposal is to grant IronWorks Fencing Club \$600 for facility expense, for hosting a tournament. The venue is \$600.

GA: For 10 hours.

MC: How many meetings do we have in a year?

SY: I hope to have monthly meetings.

CJ: Technically, the bylaws call for quarterly meetings.

MC: Can we put in minutes that this is for this year. I hope in the next few meetings we can solidify the process and put it in bullet points b/c I don't know you, but everyone vouches for you, but the thing is next year somebody might question what was the process did you do for this, so that it's clear and we don't run into lots of problems in the future.

AK: Proposal verbiage for next year/future club selection: The proposal is to grant (club name) \$(X amount of dollars) for facility expense for hosting a tournament.

CJ: Why don't we appoint a committee to come up with a process (for future club selection), put it into writing everybody can look at & next meeting we can vote on the process.

KL: There are multiple ways to fund this: the dollar amount per person, & Greg (tournament host) would have to decide whether \$10 per fencer is enough to offset so he can make money or do I come around next year and say that I need money because I'm going to have it at the Gaylord Palms and cost \$1,200 for facility.

SY: So how many yays? Let's put it on the record.

8 ayes, 1 nay, 1 abstained vote

SY: OFA will vote yeah, OSHS will vote yeah.

KL: Just because we don't need it, let's not complicate it. Your (SY) one vote is going to be plenty. It's going to pass, so let's not worry about the number of votes.

CJ: It passes, but now we need to find volunteers to come up with a club selection process for next year.

Committee formed (RW, MC, AK) to decide criteria for club/venue/tournament assistance before next club is selected.

**3) Code of Conduct / Sportsmanship** (a concern for the division raised by CJ)  
(make it visible; what is process if bad behavior is witnessed (who do you go to?); report to bout committee?)

Coaches / athletes arguing with refs/directors  
Be respectful, you can ask questions; do not scream

Charlie simplified the nat'l code of conduct and made it applicable to fencers, coaches and parents; the following is the **first draft verbatim, unmodified**:

### **Central Florida Division Code Of Conduct**

**Article 1. Competitors** 1. I shall at all time conduct myself in a sportsmanlike manner. I will refrain from being dismissive, abusive, or disrespectful of my fellow competitors, Referees, Coaches, Parents and tournament organizers. treating Everyone with the respect they deserve regardless of race, creed, color, national origin, religion, gender or sexual orientation. 2. I will always conduct myself in the spirit of fair play, abiding by all USFA rules and regulations. 3. I will support fair and honest competition including avoidance of use of banned substances such as performance enhancing drugs. 4. I will not bully, harass, or be disparaging of others in person. via phone conversation, or social media. 5. As a representative of my sport I will at all times conduct myself with honor, courage and dignity. **Article 2. Coaches** 1. As a coach I will hold myself to the high same standards as is expected of the athletes. 2. In addition I will not have unwarranted physical contact with any of my students. 3. I will address conflicts in a respectful manner and avoid use of profane, abusive or derogatory language. 4. I understand that the manner in which I conduct myself will have a lasting influence on the conduct of my athletes. 5. I will be open minded to new coaching techniques and strive to maintain current knowledge of the rules and regulations as our sport evolves. 6. I will at all times put the well being of my athletes and all those participating above my own personal desires. **Article 3. Parents** 1. I will at all times hold myself to the same high standards as Coaches and Athletes. 2. I will trust the judgement and integrity of our coaches and Referees. I will refrain from being disruptive, quarrelsome and argumentative. Remember a lot of coaches, refs and organizers are volunteers. Treat them with respect. 3. Avoid shouting instruction or criticism to your fencer. Leave the coaching and refereeing to those who most likely are more knowledgeable than you are. Do not disrupt the bout. Extreme behaviors can lead a BLACK CARD and expulsion from the event. 4. Always be encouraging to all the athletes. Remember negative speak usually produces negative results. Win or loose recognize their efforts and sportsmanship.

Actionable/Enforceable: Have coaches/parents/athletes sign COC (tethered to Liability Waiver) or they do not fence; up to tournament host club (host club will enforce this in order for it to be sanctioned tournament); add revised COC to division website. Pretournament: Coach gathers COC signatures for parents/athletes that will be turned in @ tournament w/ waivers in order to fence.

SY: We should let everyone read it and sign it when they check in. I think that's extremely important. I will go a step further, in order for a tournament to be a sanctioned tournament, they should have this and send it to the division.

CK: When they enroll, they can e-sign it.

CJ: All the tournament organizers could, if we could get them to adopt it, make it as part of the process of signing up. Read it, e-sign it, and if you don't abide by it, then you're out.

SY: Let's make everybody sign it.

AK: When you say everybody, I can see how you can make the athletes sign the COC, but how are you going to make the coaches and parents sign?

CJ: Getting the coaches and parents to sign will be problematic. I don't know how can get them to sign it.

TC: If you don't sign it, do you say, "Your kid can't fence?"

SY: Yeah. Why not?

CJ: Make spaces for parents and athlete to sign.

**CJ: Add under COC Parents: "It is your responsibility as a parent, if you see violations of the Code of Conduct, to report it to the Bout Committee."**

KL: Suggestion: This is important enough that division should pay for at least 1 per club for a laminated poster of COC that is visible for every tournament held at the door or the venue and if you lose it will be a \$5 charge for replacement copy.

CK: Post it to the division website.

CJ: 13 x 19 is the largest I can print. I'll modify it, send out to everyone to review. If I don't hear back from anyone, I'll make the assumption it's okay.

KL: What is the impact if we make them sign it and they still yell at the referee?

All: Then they will be removed from the tournament.

MC: At beginning of tournament, remind parties involved of COC; and if coaches, parents and athletes do not follow policy, they will be kicked out.

KL: Another good example, when we do divisional tournaments, there is a note on our divisional tournaments that said, "You will not ask for a replacement, you will not whatever ... the statement is not that long that maybe we can add that to the event notices that we're going to be adhering to the division COC and whenever they sign up for an event, they've got to read it. It turns into boiler plate for each AskFred.net entry/tournament that we do.

SY: To me, it's more of the host's responsibility than the participant. That's why I want to mandate that in order for your tournament to be sanctioned, you have to have this on the record. I want it signed and enforced. What we can ask host club to do on AskFred.net is to send this document to everybody before the event so they can sign it. And when they arrive at the tournament, they will have it with them; and if they don't have it, paper copies will be available for them to read and sign.

KL: Legally, we cannot unsanction a tournament if they did not sign those forms. It's a very codified process.

KL/TC: USFA rules.

SY: I will contact USFA for clarification on whether we can require adherence of COC as a criterion for a USFA-sanctioned event.

HN: (Swordmaster parent) There are 2 things we need to do with the COC:

- 1) Make it visible (e.g., publish on website)
- 2) There has to be a process for when someone sees something: Who do I contact? Who do I need to see?

CJ: If you see that at a tournament, you should report that to the Bout Committee right away. That's part of SafeSport.

**CJ: Add under COC Parents: "It is your responsibility as a parent, if you see violations of the Code of Conduct, to report it to the Bout Committee."**

COC accepted by all; will be revised and printed out for CFL Div clubs.

4) Proposal: **Eliminating 75-mile radius for same-day division tournaments** (action: restriction not lifted)

Proposal not necessary b/c it's already in the rules per Charlie: 75-mile radius should be lifted if and only if they are different tournament events.

Per Ryan Wheeler's emailed concerns (as he cannot be present): *"I don't think there are enough fencers in the division let alone the state to really allow two tournaments at once in the same division.*

*We got major flak from fencers across the state one time because we ran a tournament at the same time as Gainesville's FFA (Brian Harper). And sure enough, both tournaments ended up smaller and not as good as they could have been if separated.*

*When we start stepping on the other clubs of the division and running tournaments at the same time, we are only hurting ourselves. We need to focus on being inclusive and not exclusive.*

*The only time I see this as okay is if they are different events (Div 1 – 3 at one tournament, youth events at another)."*

2 ayes (OFA & SwordMasters)

8 nays

CK: If 52-week tournament calendar is full, can we revisit lifting the 75-mile radius requirement before the end of this term? Wants to bring it up again for a vote before end of current term.

5) Long-term equipment purchasing plan (demand for equip inventory is unknown); proposer (Nestor) will work with Ken on this.

CJ: If the terms of office were like 4 years, that would work. But who knows what the next administration would want to do.

KL: We create budgets yearly. And it's been a couple years since we did an all-ends inventory. And if you look at that list that you (SY) got, all those strips and boxes, that's a list of our CFD inventory. We have certain boxes that cannot be upgraded to the latest USFA FIE rules. So there's no reason you can't put in the budget that we're going to go ahead and get rid of the boxes we cannot update for 3 weapons.

CJ: If you can't update a box with the new timing, there's no point in keeping the box. Let's look at this logically, how much rental do we actually do on the equipment? How much call is there for equipment. Greg is going to need it for his tournament.

KL: I guess because I have some knowledge of that, I'll take on the lead of the committee to get together with that because there's so many people we need to talk to: ECOG, the Dunedin equipment group; Chuck would be a part of that, he's still got stuff in his garage. All I know is that last time I rented equipment from the division, 4 of the floor cords didn't work, so it was a pain. We do need to have a feel for what our quantity of rentals is going to be. Because if we invest in new boxes and we don't use them...

CJ: And nobody uses them, then it's not important.

KL: What the demand is for this equipment inventory is undetermined.

CJ: Mostly from what I've seen, we use it for JO qualifiers and division championships.

KL: UCF and USF use some.

CJ: It's not like it used to be. There used to be a huge demand for the equipment. We rented out to sectionals and some of the other divisions rented from Jim.

SY: As far as this particular agenda is concerned, the person who proposed this isn't here.

KL: Well, he gets to volunteer with me on this committee.

SY: I actually sent Nestor an email yesterday to work on this, and he hasn't replied.

CJ/KL: Nestor has all his own gear.

SY: He wants to purchase more equipment for the division for the long-term. I told him we would be getting 3 strips, and he said, "Why don't we replace all the old equipment?" When he comes next meeting, you guys can talk about it. I want to move on to the next agenda item.

6) **Divisionwide marketing plan** (not promoting any one club, but the division as a whole)

SY: Division has its own website & we do our own marketing to grow our clubs. Some coaches are proposing that that should be done on division level as well for all the clubs. Instead of one club doing their own thing, we should have some kind of group effort to promote fencing in general.

KL: Who's the webmaster now?

SY: Carlos.

KL: You willing to take it on? We've got a site.

CK: I know, I've seen it.

KL: Though it hasn't been updated in quite a while.

CJ: O God no, it hasn't been updated in 10 years almost.

KL: When Jason dropped out of chair and stuff.

CK: I just copied what it was right now to a nicer design, but I need more input to see what you guys want to put on it, what everybody suggests.

CJ: The COC at least.

KL: Minutes from the agenda, that kind of normal stuff that's catalogued there might not have been updated. But as far as like club advertisements, and if you want to do something a little fancier ... We used to like take fliers around each tournament before Facebook and stuff, right, and you lay it on the table ... we're having a tournament in Melbourne, we're having a tournament in Cocoa ... whatever, right. And that's how we would do it, that's old school. But having people put that they're having a tournament on the website, if you can make it easy enough where they can just upload a PDF.

CK: And it's a process where we can get to a familiar situation for everybody. We start uploading some kind of calendar, search engine, at least a PDF, the local fencers and clubs are going to get used to that, which now they know that why would they visit the website, there's nothing there. So little by little, they're going to start using it as a resource, and we can get access to promote this sport and more clubs, and do an additional level to schools and other institutions as much as we can for the sport which benefits everybody.

KL: The only other option we talked about was ditching the website all together because it's pretty old school and paying for a business Facebook account.

MC/CJ/CK: Facebook.

CK: I think you need to have it all, that's the standard.

CJ: You need the website, and as much as I hate the guy who owns Facebook, you still need Facebook.

MC: Can we start with a website first? When I need something, I go to the website first.

KL: The average age of a fencer in our division is probably 12 so let's just keep that in mind ...

CJ: Being an ex-marketing person, I can tell you the American population when you're doing advertising, you're aiming at a 12 year old.

SY: As long as marketing plan is concerned, we're going to start with a website & Coach Carlos volunteered to help us on this. He has a marketing background, so he has ideas on how to promote this sport within our division. I will let him take care of that. As long as the marketing plan is concerned, as a division we're not going to specifically promote one club. I'll tell you what I did last season with my club. We did a fencing demo at 2 different schools: Trinity Prep High School, First Academy (at John Young) with Coach Jenny; but demo was cancelled at Lake Mary High School. That's what I meant by marketing, cooperating with other clubs within the division to promote the sport.

KL: I think we have enough saturation of clubs in Orlando today. It's amazing to me, it started off with one and now we've got like 6 or 7. I hope we're not trying to start up anymore new companies in Orlando.

CK: I see your point and that is in fact why I volunteered, it's my firm belief that there's no reason why there should be 10 bajillion karate students and no fencing students, so what we need is promotion, marketing. In order to do that, we need to work together. Believe me, there's enough fencers, potential fencers, for all of us, twice, 10 times over, but we need to create them. I will do everything in my power to do that. I applied for an RYC & I got approved, so I have a February (2020) RYC/RJCC that I hope I can count with your help to promote as much as we can. And I want to grow this, I mean it for the growth of the sport. I will give you ideas next time we meet. I welcome your ideas as well if you want to write me so I can incorporate them into the marketing plan to promote the division so we can grow.

CJ: The best promotion is being visible. And we have been for many years the most invisible sport there probably is. So if you go out and do fencing demos, that's one of the best things. When I



started in my club many years ago, there was like 14 of us; and now between 4 private schools and the club itself, I've got about 120 fencers to coach and work with. And that's how you grow it—you get out and you make yourself visible, you do demos at the club, you do demos when the libraries ask you, you try to get involved in the local schools. Visibility is the best way. If the kids see it, they go, "Oh wow, I want to do that." But if they never see it ...

CK: Another important thing is we need to cut the bickering. And if somebody from another area says, "Hey, this seems interesting, yeah, go to that club, it's fantastic; go to that club, it's fantastic. We need to show the brotherhood, the camaraderie because we will have enough for everybody. That is what I propose; and was thinking about the tournament, just returning to that for just a second, if there are different categories, age groups: seniors, youth and veterans, can they repeat tournaments if they are different categories in the same day?

KL: Yeah, you can have a vets tournament, and you can have a Y14 and under kids tournament in the same day.

CJ: At 2 different locations as long as they're not overlapping.

MC: We need to promote the sport in the division because the high schools can only be a team if they compete in FHSA tournaments, something like that. Because there's not enough high school teams in Florida, the school will not be able to take it as part of athletics, so the Trinity Prep team is a club, it's not in the athletics program.

GA: We have to promote it as a varsity sport.

SY: With Orlando Science High School, it's different. It's considered a varsity sports team.

MC: That's why we need to promote it in private & public schools; otherwise, it will remain a club.

KL: If you can get 3 high schools in the same county, that can turn into a varsity sport.

GA: In Brevard, we had 4.

## 7) CFD Championship points calculation

Proposer (Nestor) relayed to SY that CFD Championship points calculation is favoring certain club structure, so that club will win all the time. He doesn't like it. He was proposing we should have some other way to calculate points. He can explain it next meeting.

KL: No matter how you do it, the largest clubs will win the club championship.

AK: Sheer numbers ...

TC: He wants a handicap ...

KL: When you add more events like Nestor wants to, the larger clubs. And I'll tell you, but I'm not going to name names, but the person who suggested it is the worst capable one of it. You add Y14, he's going to put 3 people in Y14 epee who have never touched an epee in their entire lives. Because a lot of the events we have today aren't even fenced because they only have like 3 fencers in them and our rule says 6. So that club wins all the points and they don't even have to fence.

GA: Points were for individuals, not a club, and you had a points champion, just like the national points thing.

Discussion tabled because proposer (Nestor) is not present

SY: Whenever we have a tournament within our division, club representatives should encourage our fencers to participate. The ones coming up are:

14 Sept 2019 — Dunedin's Kraken tournament

Late September — USF tournament

5 Oct 2019 — IronWorks tournament

Adjournment 9:15 p.m.