• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Saturday, February 20, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Achai Wiir intervenes to help South Sudan regain right to vote at United Nations

The amount government was struggling to pay to the world body was $22,804.

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
February 17, 2021
Reading Time: 5min read

Juba-based philanthropist and businesswoman, Achai Wiir [Photo via Facebook]
Juba-based philanthropist and businesswoman, Achai Wiir [Photo via Facebook]
EDITORIAL NOTICE: A day after the publication of this article, businesswoman Achai Wiir denied that he had helped the government to pay its UN arrears following its exemption from voting right in New York for not paying its fees. The ministry of foreign affairs has also denied the businesswoman had helped in paying the arrears. We therefore disregard this piece and apologize, but we will keep this story for another 24 hours to help readers access this editorial notice!


JUBA – South Sudan government regained its right to vote at the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) in New York on Thursday reportedly after Juba-based philanthropist and businesswoman, Achai Wiir, intervened to clear South Sudan arrears following withdrawal of the right to vote at the world body over failure of the world’s youngest country to pay its membership fees.

In January, the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres said in a letter to the President of the UN General Assembly that South Sudan – along with nine other states – have not paid their membership arrears for more than two years, effectively scrapping their right to any vote at the important world body.

The amount due was $22,804.

In a statement on Friday, UN General Assembly spokesman, Brenden Varma, said the world’s youngest country has remitted its membership arrears and has since regained its right to vote at the most important organization.

“South Sudan has made the necessary payment to reduce its arrears,” Varma told the press in New York on Friday last week.

Speaking to Sudans Post this morning, a ‘well-informed’ foreign ministry official said the money was made available after Achai Wiir voluntarily asked the government to allow her to intervene to clear the amount the country owed to the United Nations, after an appeal from unnamed citizen to get her by government’s side.

“The government was about to clear those cash and it was very hard to send the money. Ms. Achai intervened and cleared the costs through friends in the United States. This was because she said a citizen appealed to him to help the government,” the foreign ministry official said on condition of anonymity.

“It was not because the government has no money, but because she wanted to help and his assistance is legitimate as long as he is a citizen,” the official added.

The UN charter stipulates for suspension of the voting rights when countries fail to pay their membership fees. Beside South Sudan, several other countries also lost their rights in January, including Iran, the Central African Republic and Congo Brazzaville.

Share this:

  • Tweet
  • Telegram
  • WhatsApp

Related Posts

First Vice President and SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar addresses a press conference jointly with President Salva Kiir (not seen) at the State House in Juba, on February 20, 2020 (Photo: via Getty Images)

SPLM-IO says Jieng Council of Elders poses “dangerous” threat to peace

February 20, 2021
General Paul Malong with his son Garang Paul Malong posting for photo in Kenya [Photo via Facebook]

Malong’s son urges immediate arrest of JCE members for ‘messing up’ South Sudan

February 20, 2021

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • SPLM-IO says Jieng Council of Elders poses “dangerous” threat to peace
  • Malong’s son urges immediate arrest of JCE members for ‘messing up’ South Sudan

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms