• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Wednesday, February 28, 2024
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Activist calls for investigation of fire outbreak at ammunition store

He said proper storage mechanisms for weapons and ammunition is one of the benchmarks for lifting the United Nations arms embargo imposed on South Sudan.

by Sudans Post
February 25, 2024

Edmund Yakani [Courtesy photo]
JUBA – A South Sudanese activist has urged President Salva Kiir to commission an investigation into Sunday’s fire at an army ammunition store in the capital, Juba.

Edmund Yakani said such an investigation must be done in a transparent manner.

According to the military, a fire erupted at an ammunition depot at Juba’s Giyada military barrack early morning of Sunday, injuring at least eight people.

Loud explosions were heard, caused fear and panic among residents in the city.

“The SSPDF [South Sudan Peoples Defense Force] weapons stock blowing up due to the fire in the military barracks at Giyada in Juba is unfortunate, but it requires [an] independent investigation into the cause of the fire,” said Yakani.

He said the incident shows poor handling of weapons and ammunition stockpiles.

“SSPDF should have learned from past mistakes of poor management of stockpiles of weapons and ammunition by the Sudan Army Forces,” noted Yakani.

The activist urged the parliamentary committee on defense and security to ensure an effective weapons and ammunition’s stockpile management system.

He said proper storage mechanisms for weapons and ammunition is one of the benchmarks for lifting the United Nations arms embargo imposed on South Sudan.

Last year, the United Nations Security Council adopted a resolution to renew for a year, till May 31, 2024, arms embargo measures against South Sudan as well as targeted travel ban and asset freeze sanctions against individuals and entities.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post footer logo

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Oyet warns South Sudan faces ‘economic trap’ due to private interests
  • South Sudan blames economic crisis on conflict, oil woes, and external factors

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.