• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Wednesday, January 31, 2024
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

CEPO’s Yakani condemns clashes between SSPDF and SPLA-IO in Unity State

Clashes between South Sudan army and the armed opposition faction erupted on Monday afternoon after the SSPDF allegedly attacked the SPLA-IO base at Nyuelnyuel, also known as Barkuor, north of the state capital, Bentiu.

by Sudans Post
January 29, 2024

The map of Unity State [Getty Image]
JUBA – A South Sudanese activist has “strongly” condemned the breakout of clashes between SPLA-IO and SSDPF in Northern Unity State, describing it as a violation of the permanent ceasefire signed by the rival military factions.

Clashes between South Sudan army and the armed opposition faction erupted on Monday afternoon after the SSPDF allegedly attacked the SPLA-IO base at Nyuelnyuel, also known as Barkuor, north of the state capital, Bentiu.

Multiple military sources affiliated with the SPLA-IO said the group withdrew from the base, not due to defeat, but as part of a previously agreed-upon relocation.

“This is evidently justification for our augment that field commanders of the forces of parties to the R-ARCSS in unity state are undermining the system of command enshrined in the R-ARCSS. This is clear violation of the Permanent ceasefire,” CEPO’s Executive Director, Edmund Yakani said on Tuesday.

He urged the political leadership to summon the field commanders for disciplinary and accountability measures, stressing that skirmishes between the rival factions threaten preparations for elections scheduled in December 2024.

“The usual tensions between SPLA-IO and SSPDF in unity state will really return the country back to war. The behaviors of the field commanders are really bad and they have a sharp appetite of returning the country back to war,” stressed Yakani.

He added, “These practices should immediately be stopped, sanctioned by the political and top national security and defense leaderships in Juba”.

Yakani urged the ceasefire monitoring body (CTASMVM) to investigate the clashes between the rival factions.

 

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post footer logo

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • RSF chief urges IGAD to ignore Sudan’s membership withdrawal
  • Death toll in Unity State fighting climbs to seven as SPLA-IO withdraws to Sudanese border

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.