• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Tuesday, March 30, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Activist urges Kenya to reconsider decision to close refugee camps

On Monday, Kenya’s interior cabinet secretary gave UNHCR 14 days to close down Kakuma, Kalobeyei and Dadaab refugee camps.

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
March 25, 2021
Reading Time: 4min read
Evening approaches at the Dzaipi transit centre in northern Uganda, where UNHCR has erected tents for many of the refugees. [Photo by UNHCR]
Evening approaches at the Dzaipi transit centre in northern Uganda, where UNHCR has erected tents for many of the refugees. [Photo by UNHCR]

JUBA – South Sudanese activist Michael Jok Ajak called on the government of Kenya to reconsider its decision to close refugee camps in the country.

On Monday, Kenya’s interior cabinet secretary gave UNHCR 14 days to close down Kakuma, Kalobeyei and Dadaab refugee camps.

Since May 2016, Kenya has argued that the world’s largest refugee camp, Dadaab, had been infiltrated by terrorist groups, especially those from Somalia.

The Dadaab and the Kakuma refugee camps in northern Kenya together host more than 410,000 people, a small proportion of whom are from South Sudan.

This is the second attempt by the Kenyan government to have the camps closed and refugees repatriated.

In February 2017, a Kenyan court said it would be unconstitutional for the government to close refugee camps housing mostly people who have fled conflicts.

In a statement extended to Sudans Post, Jok said the closure of the camp will only endanger the lives of the refugees who fled conflict in their country.

 “Kenya is a UN member state and there is a UN charter which allows each Member State to provide refuge to people who fled away from hostile environments,” Ajak disclosed.

Ajak added that it is not the right time for refugees to be repatriated since their country of  their origin is not stable at the moment.

“So, the Kenya government has obligations here not to intimidate the refugee populations from the two refugee camps. Refugees would leave Kenya only if conditions in their respective countries warranted them for return or repatriation,” he disclosed.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan National Security Service (NSS) General Headquarters in Jebel [Photo via Getty Images]

Government official says ‘it is normal for opposition leaders to be arrested’

March 30, 2021
South Sudan Minister of Humanitarian Affairs and Disaster Management, Peter Mayen Majongdit, speaking during a workshop in Juba on Wednesday, December 13, 2020 [Photo by Sudans Post]

S. Sudan minister denounces calls for ‘premature elections’

March 30, 2021

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Government official says ‘it is normal for opposition leaders to be arrested’
  • S. Sudan minister denounces calls for ‘premature elections’

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms