• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Monday, November 25, 2024
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Fragile calm returns to Juba after heavy fighting, army attributes violence to ‘misunderstanding’

Panic among local residents persists in many parts of Juba and families have confirmed arriving to the UN POC located in Jebel.

by Sudans Post
November 21, 2024

SSPDF spokesman Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang speaks to reporters during a press conference in Juba on Wednesday, May 15, 2024. [Photo by Sudans Post]
SSPDF spokesman Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang speaks to reporters during a press conference in Juba on Wednesday, May 15, 2024. [Photo by Sudans Post]
JUBA – A fragile calm has returned to South Sudan’s capital, Juba, after heavy fighting between security forces and loyalists of former head of the country’s spy agency, General Akol Koor Kuc, eyewitnesses have confirmed.

Elements from the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) were trying to arrest and detain the former director-general of Internal Security Bureau (USB) of the country’s notorious National Security Service (NSS).

A security source in Bilpam has confirmed Akol’s arrest and immediate transfer to the army headquarters in Bilpam. That same source dismissed claims that Akol has been killed, but could not confirm or deny claims he has been injured during the clash.

The situation in Juba remains calm, with the army urging citizens to remain indoors until further updates are provided. Panic among local residents persists in many parts of Juba and families have confirmed arriving to the UN POC located in Jebel.

Deng, not his real name, confirmed that while the immediate situation has stabilized, many residents remain anxious. He said he has taken his family to the UN POC in Juba where he said he was followed by many others.

“The fighting has stopped, and security forces have contained the situation,” he said. “However, I cannot assure you of the entire situation. There is still widespread panic, and many people are anxious about what might happen next. I have brought my family here [UN POC] and many came with me.”

Stephen Nger, a community leader in Juba, also echoed these sentiments. “While the gunfire has ceased, many people are still frightened. We are witnessing families fleeing their homes in search of safety,” he said.

Police spokesman Col. Kassara Koang Nhial confirmed that the calm has returned to Juba and called on the general public to remain calm.

/wp-content/uploads/2024/11/WhatsApp-Audio-2024-11-21-at-8.52.41-PM-1-mp3cut.net_.mp3

Meanwhile SSPDF spokesman Maj. Gen. Lul Ruai Koang attributed the heavy fighting to a misunderstanding between the two protection units stationed at Akol’s residence and that army chief Santino Deng Wol had arrived at the scene to de-escalate the situation.

“Around 30 minutes ago, there was a shooting at the residence of ex-spy chief Gen. Akol Koor, and it involved our own security forces that had been deployed there to provide extra security,” Lul Ruai said.

He explained that there were two security forces at the residence – an outer force and a platoon assigned for closer protection inside the compound.

“There was a misunderstanding between the two forces, and we do not know what had happened. That misunderstanding degenerated into the gunfire you heard earlier on,” he added.

As a result of the clashes, two servicemen were injured. Lul Ruai confirmed that the situation was later contained after SSPDF Chief of Defense Forces Gen. Santino Deng Wol intervened at the scene, ordering the cessation of hostilities.

“An investigation will be carried out tomorrow to find out exactly what happened. Regarding the recent resumption of gunfire, we do not know the cause, but I am confident it will be contained again,” he concluded.

The army officer, however, refused to comment on the status of the arrest of Gen. Akol. He said that more information will be publicized in a press conference set for tomorrow morning.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post Footer Logo

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • SSOA rejects Costello’s removal by VP Hussein, calls it a ‘surprise’ move
  • Man dies in fatal accident in Aweil East County

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.