• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Wednesday, February 9, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Ethiopia set to release more ‘high-profile’ opposition politicians

The Ethiopian government has announced its intention to release more high-profile political figures as an expression of its gesture to achieve peace with the rebellious Tigray people's Liberation Front (TPLF), according to the ministry of foreign affairs.

February 8, 2022
Reading Time: 3 mins read

Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed [Photo via SEE]
Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed [Photo via SEE]
ADDIS ABABA – The Ethiopian government has announced its intention to release more high-profile political figures as an expression of its gesture to achieve peace with the rebellious Tigray people’s Liberation Front (TPLF), according to the ministry of foreign affairs.

In January, the Ethiopian government announced that it had pardoned a number of political prisoners including members of the TPLF, as the government said it would begin dialogue with political opponents after 14 months of war when thousands of people have been arrested.

In a brief statement posted on its Facebook page on Tuesday, the Ethiopian ministry of foreign affairs said its embassy in France met members of the French parliamentarian foreign relations committee and disclosed the Ethiopian government’s intention to release more prisoners.

“The Embassy in France had the opportunity to brief French Senators, Members of Foreign Relations Committee, about the current developments in Ethiopia. The Ethiopian Government is committed to peace with the establishment of the National Dialogue Commission and the release of high political figures from prison,” the foreign ministry statement added.

It accused the Tigray People’s Liberation Front of renewing attacks, despite disclosure last week by the group’s leader, Debretsion Gebremichael that his leadership has been in an informal talk with the government of Prime Minister Dr. Abiy Ahmed to fine ground for a ceasefire.

“TPLF’s renewed attacks in adjacent Afar and Amhara regions are thwarting peace efforts and delivery of humanitarian assistance. Ethiopia appreciates France’s readiness to support Ethiopia’s rehabilitation efforts and the proposed national dialogue,” the statement said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

President Salva Kiir and former petroleum minister Ezekiel Lol Gatkuoth gestures at each other in Juba at an unknown date in 2017 [Photo via Facebook]

Kiir vetoes criminal investigation against ex-petroleum minister

Eritrean President Isaias Afwerki. [Photo courtesy]

Top Eritrean army general allegedly fired for suggesting withdrawal from northern Ethiopia

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Kiir vetoes criminal investigation against ex-petroleum minister
  • Top Eritrean army general allegedly fired for suggesting withdrawal from northern Ethiopia

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.