• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Sunday, September 11, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Ethiopian conflict still ‘pose an unusual’ threat to American national security – Biden

US President Joe Biden has renewed his country’s national emergency status on Ethiopia, saying that the ongoing conflict in the Horn of African country still ‘pose an unusual and extraordinary threat’ to the security of the United States.

September 10, 2022
Reading Time: 3 mins read

US President Joe Biden [Photo by Tom Brenner via Getty Images]
US President Joe Biden [Photo by Tom Brenner via Getty Images]
JUBA – US President Joe Biden has renewed his country’s national emergency status on Ethiopia, saying that the ongoing conflict in the Horn of African country still ‘pose an unusual and extraordinary threat’ to the security of the United States.

First declared in September last year, the national emergency aim at addressing threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States posed by the “widespread violence, atrocities, and serious human rights abuses” in northern Ethiopia and the greater Horn of Africa region.

The executive order signed by President Biden had authorized the Secretary of Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State, to sanction certain foreign persons, including individuals and entities responsible for threatening the peace, security, or stability of Ethiopia and corruption or serious human rights abuse.

In a statement this afternoon, Biden said the US national emergency in Ethiopia will have to continue given the continued extraordinary threats the war poses towards the national security of the United States of America.

“The situation in and in relation to northern Ethiopia, which has been marked by activities that threaten the peace, security, and stability of Ethiopia and the greater Horn of Africa region — in particular, widespread violence, atrocities, and serious human rights abuses, including those involving ethnic-based violence, rape and other forms of gender-based violence, and obstruction of humanitarian operations — continues to pose an unusual and extraordinary threat to the national security and foreign policy of the United States,” Biden said.

“For this reason, the national emergency declared in Executive Order 14046 of September 17, 2021, must continue in effect beyond September 17, 2022.  Therefore, in accordance with section 202(d) of the National Emergencies Act (50 U.S.C. 1622(d)), I am continuing for 1 year the national emergency declared in Executive Order 14046 with respect to Ethiopia,” he added.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

Speaker of National Parliament, Jemma Nunu Kumba speaks during the opening of the first session of Transitional National Legislature in Juba on Monday, 30 August 2021[Photo by Awan Achiek/Sudans Post]

South Sudan lawmakers vying for seats at East African parliament to be charged $1000

SPLA-IO chief of staff General Simon Gatwech Dual and Sector one commander General Johnson Olony [File photo]

SPLM-IO tell Gatwech, Olony not to use civilians as human shields

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • South Sudan lawmakers vying for seats at East African parliament to be charged $1000
  • Opinion | Rise up for climate justice, accountability to children in Africa

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.