• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Tuesday, April 19, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Gatwech ‘not involved’ in Leer violence – official

A senior South Sudan opposition diplomat allied to General Simon Gatwech Dual has told Sudans Post that the SPLM-IO Kitgwang faction is not involved in the ongoing violence in southern Unity State's Leer County.

April 14, 2022
Reading Time: 3 mins read

General Simon Gatwech Dual speaking during a meeting with South Sudan government delegation in Khartoum on January 11, 2022. [Photo by MICT&PS]
General Simon Gatwech Dual speaking during a meeting with South Sudan government delegation in Khartoum on January 11, 2022. [Photo by MICT&PS]
JUBA – A senior South Sudan opposition diplomat allied to General Simon Gatwech Dual has told Sudans Post that the SPLM-IO Kitgwang faction is not involved in the ongoing violence in southern Unity State’s Leer County.

Violence has been ongoing in Leer with dozens of civilians being murdered, women rapped and houses being put on fire by suspected gunmen allied to the commissioner of Mayendit County Gatluak Nyang.

SSPDF spokesman Major General Lul Ruai Koang told Sudans Post earlier this week that the killing in Leer was sparked by fighting between SPLA-IO factions loyal to First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny and General Simon Gatwech Dual.

But speaking to Sudans Post this afternoon, Amb. Gatkuoth Biel Nyang, one of the top diplomats of the SPLM-IO Kitgwang faction denied involvement of his group in the fighting, but said they have forces in southern Unity State.

“What we know is that we have forces in southern Unity state, but the fighting in Leer is between clans and somehow between other political foes and we are not involved there in anyway,” he told Sudans Post from the Sudanese capital Khartoum.

“Since the signing of the Khartoum peace agreement, we have not attacked anyone. There was infighting in Mirmir where SPLA-IO under Riek Machar attempted to retake Mirmir after it was controlled by our forces, but we defeated them and our forces are inside Mirmir now,” he added.

The SPLA-IO under First Vice President Machar has not come out to clearly state who is fighting who in Leer county as several attempts to contact the spokesman of the main armed opposition group’s military wing Lam Paul Gabriel were unsuccessful.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

SSOA leaders meeting Kiir earlier this year at the state house J1 in present of Sudanese leader General Abdel Fattah al Burhan [Photo by presidency]

Catholic clerics plead with leaders not to return Sudan, South Sudan to wars

Members of South Sudan National Security and police services drive on pickup trucks while patrolling the streets of Juba, South Sudan on April 9, 2020. [Photo via Getty Images]

Juba police nab over 70 gang criminals during Easter celebrations

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Catholic clerics plead with leaders not to return Sudan, South Sudan to wars
  • Juba police nab over 70 gang criminals during Easter celebrations

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.