• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT
Monday, July 26, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Gen. Olony planning to reconcile Duer Tut, Gatwech Dual to ‘protect opposition Unity’ — official

Speaking to Sudans Post in an exclusive interview on Thursday morning, an opposition source in Magenis said General Olony has spoke to General Simon Gatwech Dual following his return from Khartoum that opposition unity was critical in the pace of ongoing boycott of opposition groups by the Sudanese government because he believes many different opposition groups with incoherent objectives are seen by Khartoum as threat to relations between Sudan and South Sudan.

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
July 21, 2021
Reading Time: 5 mins read
Former governor of the defunct opposition Sobat state Duer Tut Duer (left) and SPLA-IO military chief General Simon Gatwech Dual. [Photos via Facebook/Getty Images]
Former governor of the defunct opposition Sobat state Duer Tut Duer (left) and SPLA-IO military chief General Simon Gatwech Dual. [Photos via Facebook/Getty Images]

JUBA — South Sudan’s controversial opposition commander General Johnson Olony Thabo is reportedly planning a reconciliatory meeting between defiant SPLA-IO chief of staff General Simon Gatwech Dual and former SPLM-IO governor of Sobat state Duer Tut Duer who declared himself the interim SPLM-IO chairman last week.

This comes after General Gatwech and Duer differed over who should be appointed as the interim SPLM-IO chairman following an apparent fallout with main armed opposition leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny who is in Juba currently as South Sudan’s First Vice President.

Speaking to Sudans Post in an exclusive interview on Thursday morning, an opposition source in Magenis said General Olony has spoke to General Simon Gatwech Dual following his return from Khartoum that opposition unity was critical in the pace of ongoing boycott of opposition groups by the Sudanese government because he believes many different opposition groups with incoherent objectives are seen by Khartoum as threat to relations between Sudan and South Sudan.

“There is a meeting being planned by General Johnson Olony because when he returned from Khartoum, he told General Simon Gatwech Dual that Khartoum was not happy the way we are not organized so, there was a need for opposition unity because they cannot support many groups that have no potential benefit for them,” the source who refused to be named said.

“So, General Olony and others including General Mabor Dhol are working to hold a meeting in which Duer Tut will be available and in which there will be a unified position of the SPLM/SPLA (IO) politicians and military commanders who are not in Juba,” the source added.

Several contacts to General Johnson Olony Thabo were unsuccessful, but sources close to General Gatwech said he was aware of an opposition meeting next week, but said “the agenda hasn’t yet been presented” but then confirm that the meeting was being organized by General Johnson Olony.

The same source said however that there are plans to divide the task between the military command and the politician in the sense that there is political wing and military wing each will be led by necessary expert in each field.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

Executive Director in the office of vice-president for gender and youth cluster Chaat Paul Nul. [Photo via Facebook]

BREAKING | Vice-President Nyandeng’s executive director dies of cancer in Nairobi

July 25, 2021
South Sudan's then newly removed FVP Dr. Riek Machar Teny speaks during a meeting of the SPLM-IO political bureau in Khartoum, Sudan. [Photo by SUNA]

Machar in trouble as W. Equatoria violence causes infighting among SPLM-IO lawmakers in parliament

July 25, 2021

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • MANAGEMENT
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Opinion | Why the so-called Bentiu ‘elders’ in Egypt are a dividing factor and a threat to the society’s unity
  • BREAKING | Vice-President Nyandeng’s executive director dies of cancer in Nairobi

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms