• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Sunday, May 17, 2026
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Gen. Santino orders former opposition forces to prepare for integration into SSPDF

In a statement issued on Monday, Gen. Santino, the Chief of Defence Forces, said the move targets former rebel forces that “abandoned rebellion” and pledged allegiance to the government during his earlier tenure but have not yet been formally integrated.

by Sudans Post
May 11, 2026

Gen. Santino orders former opposition forces to prepare for integration into SSPDF
Gen. Santino Deng Wol, Chief of Defence Forces. [Photo: Courtesy]
JUBA – South Sudan’s army chief, Gen. Santino Deng Wol, has directed several former opposition groups that previously defected to the government to prepare for integration into the South Sudan People’s Defence Forces (SSPDF) and other organized forces.

In a statement issued on Monday, Gen. Santino, the Chief of Defence Forces, said the move targets former rebel forces that “abandoned rebellion” and pledged allegiance to the government during his earlier tenure, but have not yet been formally integrated.

“Following my assumption of office as Chief of Defence Forces, I wish to inform all former opposition allied forces that abandoned rebellion, pledged allegiance to the Government of the Republic of South Sudan during my previous tenure, and have not yet been integrated, are urged to remain prepared for further directives regarding reporting to designated training centers for reorganization and integration into SSPDF and the organized forces,” the statement reads.

The announcement comes amid renewed efforts by the government to consolidate armed groups under one national command structure, a key provision of the 2018 revitalised peace agreement aimed at ending years of civil conflict.

Among the groups named in the statement are the Agwelek Forces under Lt. Gen. Johnson Olony in Malakal, several Lou Nuer factions under commanders Lt. Gen. Deng Yiech Thanypiny, Maj. Gen. Mabor Dhol, Maj. Gen. Michael Wal Nyak, and Maj. Gen. Kiir Jok, as well as forces loyal to Maj. Gen. Lual Yor in Molbok.

Other groups mentioned include fighters under Maj. Gen. Deng Awuk Abuok in Bahr el Ghazal, armed groups operating in parts of Equatoria, including Yei, Maridi, Koda and Mundri, and forces under Gen. Simon Maguek Gai in Leer County of Unity State.

Gen. Santino urged all the listed groups to remain on standby pending additional instructions from the army command.

“All the above-mentioned groups are urged to remain on standby pending further directives,” he said.

The army chief also appealed for national unity and peaceful coexistence, saying South Sudan belongs to all its citizens regardless of political or military affiliation.

“South Sudan belongs to all South Sudanese, and there is room for every citizen in building a peaceful, united, and prosperous nation. Let us embrace peace, unity, and development instead of violence and unnecessary conflict,” he added.

The integration of rival forces into a unified national army has faced repeated delays since the signing of the peace agreement, with disputes over command structures, training, funding, and deployment slowing implementation.

Gen. Santino was recently reappointed as Chief of Defence Forces following changes within the top military leadership, and his latest directive is likely to be viewed as an attempt to revive stalled security arrangements under the peace deal.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • Client Portal
  • Client Portal
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • LoginPress
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Former Abyei Chief Administrator dies on SPLA Day
  • Former Unity State Governor Bim Top wanted for criminal case investigation

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Skip to toolbar
  • About WordPress
    • About WordPress
    • Get Involved
    • WordPress.org
    • Documentation
    • Learn WordPress
    • Support
    • Feedback
  • Log In