• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Saturday, January 11, 2025
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Gov’t reverses traffic police order reducing validity of driving licenses

This decision was made during a meeting with the deputy minister of interior, Mangar Bouong, alongside other key officials on Tuesday in Juba.

by Sudans Post
January 8, 2025
First Deputy Speaker of Transitional National Legislative Assembly, Nathaniel Oyet Pierino, with the deputy minister of interior, Mangar Bouong, alongside other key officials on Tuesday in Juba. (Photo by courtesy)
First Deputy Speaker of Transitional National Legislative Assembly, Nathaniel Oyet Pierino, with the deputy minister of interior, Mangar Bouong, alongside other key officials on Tuesday in Juba. (Photo by courtesy)

JUBA-The First Deputy Speaker of South Sudan’s Transitional National Legislative Assembly, Nathaniel Oyet Pierino, said on Tuesday that the Ministry of Interior has reversed a recent controversial order reducing the validity of drivers’ licenses to one year for South Sudanese nationals and six months for foreigners.

This decision was made during a meeting with the deputy minister of interior, Mangar Bouong, alongside other key officials on Tuesday in Juba.

In a statement issued after the meeting on Tuesday, Oyet said the meeting resolved to revoke the order following public outcry over the controversial order issued by Major General Kon John, the Director General of Traffic Police.

The order announced last week was widely criticized for lacking legal basis and diverging from regional and international best practices.

“We met today with the deputy minister of interior, Mangar Boug, the spokesperson of the South Sudan National Police Service; the chair for the specialized committee for security and public order, Kom Kom; and his deputy, Samuel Loti, to discuss the urgent matter of the controversial order issued by the director general for traffic police on the reduction of duration for driving licenses to one year for nationals and six months for aliens,” he said.

He said they resolved to suspend the order, which contravenes the best practices of the standard operating procedure and the regional practices.

He disclosed that the ministry of interior has been directed to rescind such order with immediate effect.

For his part, Col. John Kassara Koang Nhial said the suspension aimed to uphold legal standards and address public concerns over the unclear and potentially unlawful fees introduced by the directive.

“We have sorted out the issue of the license, and we cancelled the previous directive of the Director of Traffic Police. Thus, the validity duration of South Sudan’s driving license remains as 5 years. We apologize for any inconveniences the directive of the Director of Traffic Police has caused,” said Koang.

 

 

 

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Kiir dismisses long-time ally Tut Gatluak as security advisor
  • Gov’t launches cleaning campaign at Juba PoCs to combat cholera spread

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.