• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Wednesday, May 28, 2025
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Heavy storm destroys two local radios in Northern Bahr El Ghazal

The stations, vital for delivering news, information, and entertainment to the community, were left in disarray, sparking concern among listeners who now face a communication blackout.

by Sudans Post
May 26, 2025

Akol Yaam FM tower was brought down by a storm. [Photo: Courtesy]
JUBA – Two community radio stations, originally constructed with funding from Internews through USAID, have collapsed, primarily due to a powerful storm that swept through Aweil East County, according to local residents.

The stations, vital for delivering news, information, and entertainment to the community, were left in disarray, sparking concern among listeners who now face a communication blackout.

On Friday, Nhomlaau FM in Malualkon, Aweil East County, suffered a severe blow when its tower was damaged by a fierce storm. The station, which had been neglected for years after Internews withdrew support, was undergoing repairs by the Action for Children Development Organisation (ACDF) when the unexpected storm struck, catching the community off guard.

Just two days later, on Sunday, May 25, 2025, Akol Yam FM 91.0, the only community radio station relocated from Malualkon to Aweil Town by Internews, also succumbed to a similar fate. Renamed after its move, Akol Yam FM had been a cornerstone for the local population, broadcasting news, music, and educational programs. A powerful storm, accompanied by heavy rainfall, brought down its tower, halting operations entirely.

Residents expressed deep frustration over the loss of their primary source of local information. Adut Akec, a devoted listener of Akol Yam FM, voiced her dismay at the sudden disruption.

“It is outrageous that the station is off-air as the entire tower, including its antenna, is completely down. We don’t know where to get information, music, and other updates. This is a critical time to hear from our leaders, with so much happening in our country and state in particular,” she said.

She emphasised the station’s role in keeping the community informed about local governance and development, underscoring the void its absence creates.

Akec also highlighted the financial hurdles facing the station’s recovery. “It would be imperative if it were fixed soon. But they face a funding challenge, which worries many people. They called for fundraising some time back, and now the radio tower has been demolished by the wind. It is terrible,” she said, reflecting the community’s growing concern about the feasibility of restoring the station without external support.

Dut Aken Bol, another local resident, offered a different perspective, pointing to potential structural issues as a contributing factor.

“Perhaps the foundation was poorly built, who knows. We heard of a similar issue with Nhomlaau FM 88.0, which was about to be revived. This is so strange,” he said, suggesting that inadequate construction may have left the towers vulnerable to the storm’s intensity.

Bol called on the state government to intervene and provide financial assistance to revive the stations. “It would be appreciated by every living soul if the government steps in and provides funds to bring the station back to life,” he urged, emphasising the station’s importance to community cohesion and information access.

The collapse of both stations has left residents grappling with a sense of isolation, as the stations were key platforms for local voices and cultural expression.

Efforts to contact the station manager for comment were unsuccessful at the time of writing, leaving many questions about the timeline and resources needed for repairs unanswered.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • Client Portal
  • Client Portal
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • LoginPress
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Aweil community urges urgent repatriation of 500 returnees stranded in Abyei
  • Sudanese military closes to breaking two-year siege of Dilling

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.