• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Monday, May 18, 2026
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Ibba man commits suicide over missing phone, police launch investigation

According to local police officials, the incident was formally reported on 9 May 2026 after the body of the deceased was discovered near an area where mourners had gathered overnight for funeral rites.

by Sudans Post
May 12, 2026

Over 500 residents fleeing violence stranded in Mundri East
Western Equatoria State map depicts counties. [Photo: Courtesy]
YAMBIO – Police authorities in Ibba County of South Sudan’s Western Equatoria State have launched investigations into the death of a young man who allegedly died by suicide after reportedly losing his mobile phone during a funeral gathering.

According to local police officials, the incident was formally reported on 9 May 2026 after the body of the deceased was discovered near an area where mourners had gathered overnight for funeral rites.

Speaking to reporters, police spokesperson Captain Kennedy Amba said preliminary findings indicate that the deceased had been distressed over the disappearance of his phone shortly before his death.

“The case was reported to police on 09/05/2026. Preliminary information indicates the deceased was distressed after losing his phone and was later found dead,” Captain Amba said.

He explained that investigators are currently treating the matter as a suspected suicide case, adding that there is, so far, no indication of foul play or criminal involvement. Police officers have since begun interviewing relatives, witnesses, and individuals who attended the funeral gathering in an effort to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.

A relative of the deceased, who requested anonymity for fear of reprisals and community sensitivity surrounding the matter, said the young man appeared emotionally troubled after discovering that his phone had gone missing during the funeral event.

According to the family member, the deceased spent much of the evening searching for the phone and repeatedly expressed concern over its disappearance before returning home visibly stressed.

“He was not calm after losing the phone. He kept worrying about it, and later we were shocked to hear what happened,” the relative said.

Community members described the incident as deeply disturbing, with several residents expressing concern over the increasing emotional pressure facing young people, particularly in situations involving financial hardship or the loss of valuable personal belongings.

Mobile phones are considered essential tools for communication, business, and mobile banking services in many parts of South Sudan, especially among young people who rely on them for daily survival and social connections.

Police authorities have urged members of the public, particularly young people, to seek emotional and psychological support from relatives, community leaders, religious leaders, or local authorities whenever they face distress or overwhelming situations.

Captain Amba said investigations into the incident remain ongoing and that police will continue gathering statements before issuing a final report on the case.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • Client Portal
  • Client Portal
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • LoginPress
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Warrap county closes morning courts temporarily to support cultivation efforts
  • Sudan commentator says PM Kamil Idris has failed to meet demands of office

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Skip to toolbar
  • About WordPress
    • About WordPress
    • Get Involved
    • WordPress.org
    • Documentation
    • Learn WordPress
    • Support
    • Feedback
  • Log In