• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Thursday, March 4, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Juba bars pay bribes to on-duty security officers to operate despite COVID-19 measures

Bars are allegedly paying police officers as much as SSP10,000 (around $17) to operate at night in violation to the coronavirus measures.

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
February 25, 2021
Reading Time: 6min read
 One of bars in Juba, South Sudan [Photo via Facebook]

One of bars in Juba, South Sudan [Photo via Facebook]

JUBA – Bars in some areas of South Sudan’s capital Juba are paying on-duty security officers to operate illegally in defiance to coronavirus measures put forth by the government to curtail the spread of the deadly virus, according to several residents of the country’s capital who spoke in the Eye Radio.

Residents of the Juba neighborhood say bars are allegedly paying police officers as much as SSP10,000 (around $17) to operate at night in violation to the coronavirus measures reimposed by the government last month following resurgence of COVID-19 infections.

The residents said, according to the radio station, the front doors of renowned bars are often closed, but the back doors are open for selected customers.

In some areas of Munuki, officers in uniform would be seen manning the entrance of a bar after extorting money from the bar owners, the reports the Eye Radio.

In response, the national police spokesperson, Major General Daniel Justin says such acts are a violation of the public health orders. He advised the public to report such incidents to the police headquarters so that immediate action is taken.

“This may happen, but the person who noticed it as a citizen, your duty is to report it to the concerned authorities and we as the police will take measures,” said Mag-Gen. Justin.

“With this night patrol, we also have military police to monitor the behaviors of the police personnel, regarding harassment, bribery, and intimidation of the citizen because it is forbidden.”

Earlier this month, the police said security agencies will ensure strict enforcement of lockdown measures to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

This was decided in a joint security meeting chaired by the Inspector General of Police General Majak Akech and the chief of Military Intelligence Lieutenant General Ring Mabor in Juba.

They were expected to ensure public buses carry passengers to half capacity, while Boda-bodas carry cargo or strictly one passenger wearing a face mask.

The officers were also directed to stop any sporting events -including Sunday church prayers, Salat al Juma Mosque prayers, funerals, wedding ceremonies and political events.”

But the taskforce has observed that the public generally violates the lockdown measures.

Major General Daniel Justin warned security officers against not enforcing the public health orders for short-term benefits.

“If we arrest them, the law will take its due course because this is illegal and once taken to the court, they will be tried, whether it is a citizen or security.”

South Sudan’s cumulative coronavirus cases are nearing 10,000.

The public is advised to strictly continue observing preventive measures such as wearing facemasks, staying away from crowded places, handwashing with soap and water, and sanitize.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan central bank governor, Dier Tong Ngor [Photo via Facebook page of the Central Bank]

South Sudan tells IMF it needs more money for economic recovery

March 4, 2021
Newly appointed Central Equatoria state government officials being sworn in by Justice Duoth Kulang [Photo by Sudans Post]

Central Equatoria state gov’t officials sworn in

March 3, 2021

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • South Sudan tells IMF it needs more money for economic recovery
  • Central Equatoria state gov’t officials sworn in

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms