• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Monday, February 28, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Kiir reportedly asked Gatwech to accept presidential advisory role – sources

South Sudan's President Salva Kiir Mayardit has reportedly asked former SPLA-IO chief of staff General Simon Gatwech Dual to accept the presidential advisor for peace position which was granted to him by First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny, a senior opposition official allied to Gatwech has said.

February 26, 2022
Reading Time: 3 mins read

President Salva Kiir Mayardit (left) and General Simon Gatwech Dual. [Photos via Facebook]
President Salva Kiir Mayardit (left) and General Simon Gatwech Dual. [Photos via Facebook]
JUBA – South Sudan’s President Salva Kiir Mayardit has reportedly asked former SPLA-IO chief of staff General Simon Gatwech Dual to accept the presidential advisor for peace position which was granted to him by First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny, a senior opposition official allied to Gatwech has said.

Gatwech was last July appointed as presidential advisor on peace on the ticket of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO) led by First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny, but refused to take up the role fearing that he would be downgraded to a politician from the military.

Machar then issued an order removing General Gatwech as the military chief of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO). Gatwech then decided to remove Machar as the chairman and commander in chief of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army ion Opposition.

The attempt by Gatwech to remove Machar sparked opposition infighting that has so far killed hundreds of opposition forces loyal to both side and General Gatwech has signed a peace agreement with President Salva Kiir Mayardit paving way for the integration of his forces into the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces.

Speaking to Sudans Post this afternoon, a senior opposition official allied to General Gatwech said President Kiir has told General Gatwech that he should accept the presidential advisor role that he was appointed into last year, but General Gatwech refused to take up the role.

“He (President Salva Kiir Mayardit) has asked the Chairman and Commander in Chief of the SPLM/SPLA  in Opposition Gen. Simon Gatwech Dual to take up the position which he had refused last year and the Chairman and Commander in Chief has reiterate his previous statement regarding this political position,” the official said on condition of anonymity.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan prominent activist and government critic Wani Michael. [Photo via Facebook]

Citizens under Kiir ‘more divided than never in history’ – activist

South Sudan youth ride atop a bus as they chant slogans in support of the referendum on southern independence in Juba, January 4, 2011. [Photo credit REUTERS]

South Sudan’s civil defense lacking resources – citizens

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Citizens under Kiir ‘more divided than never in history’ – activist
  • South Sudan’s civil defense lacking resources – citizens

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.