• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Friday, August 8, 2025
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

MSF halts activities in Yei, Morobo following staff abductions

In a statement released Tuesday, MSF confirmed that the staff member, who was leading a four-vehicle convoy, was forcibly taken by gunmen after the group was stopped along the route. The other staff and vehicles were allowed to proceed.

by Sudans Post
August 5, 2025

MSF halts activities in Yei, Morobo following staff abductions
MSF medical workers support a patient at a local facility in Central Equatoria State. [Photo: Courtesy]
JUBA – Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) has suspended all medical activities in South Sudan’s Yei River and Morobo counties for at least six weeks following the abduction of one of its staff members, amid escalating threats to humanitarian workers in the area.

The abduction occurred during an evacuation mission from Morobo to Yei last week, prompted by a worsening security situation.

In a statement released Tuesday, MSF confirmed that the staff member, who was leading a four-vehicle convoy, was forcibly taken by gunmen after the group was stopped along the route. The other staff and vehicles were allowed to proceed.

This incident came just days after a separate abduction involving Ministry of Health staff who were travelling in an MSF ambulance on the same road. Those abducted were later released, but the recurrence of such attacks has prompted serious concern among aid groups operating in the region.

“This marks a targeted act of violence against humanitarian personnel,” said Dr. Ferdinand Atte, MSF’s Head of Mission in South Sudan. “We cannot continue to provide care under conditions that put our teams at such grave risk.”

According to MSF, the abduction is part of a broader trend of insecurity affecting aid operations in Central Equatoria State.

Over the past three months, at least seven incidents involving the abduction of aid workers have been reported in Morobo County alone, alongside cases of arson, violent looting of health facilities, and destruction of medical equipment.

MSF has demanded that authorities and all armed actors in the region ensure the protection of humanitarian workers and infrastructure. “Before we can resume operations, we need credible guarantees of safety and accountability,” said Dr. Atte.

The suspension of MSF’s services is expected to significantly affect access to healthcare for local communities. Residents in Yei and Morobo rely heavily on humanitarian organisations due to limited health infrastructure and ongoing conflict. MSF had been supporting four Ministry of Health facilities, offering outpatient consultations, vaccinations, maternal health services, and mobile clinics.

Between January and June 2025, MSF reported providing over 14,000 outpatient consultations, more than 1,100 antenatal care visits, and assisting in 438 deliveries in the two counties.

This is the second time in less than three months that MSF has scaled down its operations in the region due to violence. In May, similar security concerns led to the reduction of services, including a complete halt of operations in internally displaced persons’ camps in Morobo.

Nationwide, MSF is reporting a rise in attacks on health workers and facilities. In January, two MSF boats came under fire in Upper Nile State, forcing staff to flee into the river.

In April, armed men looted the MSF hospital in Ulang in broad daylight, halting medical services for over 150,000 residents. On May 3, an airstrike involving gunship helicopters hit MSF’s hospital in Old Fangak, Jonglei State, killing at least seven civilians and injuring 27 others, including four MSF staff.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • Client Portal
  • Client Portal
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • LoginPress
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • International community joins Par, urges Kiir to unconditionally free Machar
  • Warrap battles alarming surge in malaria cases, official says

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.