• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Tuesday, October 18, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Rebel group releases nine war prisoners in Juba  

The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North led by Abdul Aziz al-Hilu (SPLM-N) on Thursday released nine prisoners of war in Juba.

4 days ago
Reading Time: 4 mins read

Leader of the SPLM-North faction General Abdel Aziz Adam al-Hilu speaking to the media in 2010 in Khartoum [Photo via al Ahram]
Leader of the SPLM-North faction General Abdel Aziz Adam al-Hilu speaking to the media in 2010 in Khartoum [Photo via al Ahram]
JUBA – The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement-North led by Abdul Aziz al-Hilu (SPLM-N) on Thursday released nine prisoners of war in Juba.

The prisoners from the Sudanese Army’s Reserve Forces (RF) were captured in Nuba Mountains a few weeks ago by the forces loyal to SPLM-North.

They were captured after they penetrated deep inside a rebel-held area and clashed with its fighters.

The prisoners were handed over to Tut Gatluak, Presidential Advisor on Security Affairs and head of the Sudanese peace talk’s mediation committee in Juba on Thursday.

“Today is a good day, as you have witnessed, the SPLM-North under Abdulaziz al Hilu has handed over prisoners of war, since we signed a ceasefire, there is no exchange of fire, there is respect for ceasefires,” Gatluak said at a press conference held in Juba this morning.

Gatluak disclosed that he will hand the prisoners of war to the government of Sudan.

“When the forces were captured in Nuba Mountain, Sudan leadership talk to president Kiir to talk to SPLM-North to release the youth, and Abdul-Aziz accepted the request, and forces are handed over to the South Sudan government to hand them over to the Sudan government,” he said.

Amar Amun, Secretary General for SPLM-North said they have been releasing prisoners of war since the start of the war.

“We are releasing 9 prisoners of war and Sudan has not released even a single person, it is not the first time in the history of SPLM-North to release detained prisoners of war, in 2016 SPLM-North released 126 including officers with the rank of colonel from SAF and last year 2021, we released 4 detainees,” said Amun.

Amun said they released them on humanity grounds so that they would join their families.

“We have released just on humane reasons, just to join their families and to know that, as individuals, we do not have problems with them but we have problems with the government but also to show good intention and good heart of SPLM-North,” he said.

Jamal Malik, Ambassador of Sudan to South Sudan said his government is ready to work for the realization of peace in Sudan.

“The Sudan government is ready to work for the realization of peace, we are ready to come to Juba for the peace talks, Juba forum is accessible, neutral and good to achieve peace comprehensive peace in Sudan,” Malik said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

Juba city at night [Photo via Facebook]

2 wounded as civilians clash with security forces over demolition exercise in Juba

UNMISS head and Special Representative of the Secretary-General Nicolas Haysom speaking to the media following a meeting with FVP Riek Machar in Juba [Photo by the office of the FVP]

Leaders of Twic, Dinka Ngok urged to intervene to end hostilities

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • 2 wounded as civilians clash with security forces over demolition exercise in Juba
  • Leaders of Twic, Dinka Ngok urged to intervene to end hostilities

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.