• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Friday, December 12, 2025
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Senior SPLM-IO member arrested in Tong cantonment site

Koang, who is a known political figure within the movement, was reportedly arrested over the weekend after security forces picked him from the Bentiu Internally Displaced Persons camp and transferred him to SPLA-IO Sector Two headquarters in Tong. The arrest was allegedly carried out following instructions issued by Unity State Deputy Governor Tor Tunguar.

by Sudans Post
December 10, 2025

Two injured in Mayiendit attack in Unity State

BENTIU – A senior member of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO), George Gatloh Koang, has been detained in Tong cantonment site under unclear circumstances, prompting concerns among party leaders in Unity State who are demanding an official explanation from state authorities.

Koang, who is a known political figure within the movement, was reportedly arrested over the weekend after security forces picked him from the Bentiu Internally Displaced Persons camp and transferred him to SPLA-IO Sector Two headquarters in Tong. The arrest was allegedly carried out following instructions issued by Unity State Deputy Governor Tor Tunguar.

Koch County Commissioner Bany Makon Chany told Sudans Post on Monday that the move was unlawful and lacked any formal justification. Makon insisted that neither the sector commander nor the deputy governor had provided a clear explanation for Koang’s detention.

“The SPLM-IO member is now under detention after he was taken from Bentiu IDP Camp by security forces. I myself don’t know the reason for his arrest,” Makon said, accusing the deputy governor of abusing his authority.

He further claimed that the deputy governor had been absent from Unity State for nearly a year, yet continued to issue directives from Juba targeting SPLM-IO officials on the ground. According to him, the leadership of SPLM-IO intends to raise the matter formally and demand Koang’s immediate release.

Makon said the leadership would not tolerate arrests carried out without proper procedures, adding that such actions undermine cooperation within the transitional government at the state level.

“We were appointed with approval from SPLM-IO headquarters and validated by Sector Two commanders who have now turned around to arrest our members,” he stated.

Meanwhile, SPLM-IO spokesperson in Unity State, Dhoal Koryom Lingling, confirmed the detention but said he had limited information regarding the reasons behind it. He said military intelligence had not disclosed any official charges.

“Yes, the senior member is under detention since Saturday last week. The authorities have not provided details,” Dhoal said.

He noted that the SPLM-IO acting leadership was engaging military authorities and expected clarity in the coming days. The party maintains that any politically-motivated arrests risk destabilising the fragile security situation in Unity State.

As of Monday, the SPLM-IO had not received any formal communication from either the deputy governor’s office or security forces concerning Koang’s alleged offences, and internal consultations were underway to address the matter through party and military channels.

 

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Click to share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • Client Portal
  • Client Portal
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • LoginPress
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Machar refused UN request to send Angelina to Nasir for evacuation assurance
  • Northern Bahr el Ghazal warns journalists against bias, bribery

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Skip to toolbar
  • About WordPress
    • About WordPress
    • Get Involved
    • WordPress.org
    • Documentation
    • Learn WordPress
    • Support
    • Feedback
  • Log In