• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT
Wednesday, October 13, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

South Sudan accuses crisis watchdog of working to ensure Kiir is ‘destroyed’

South Sudan government has accused the International Crisis Group (ICG) of working to ensure that President Salva Kiir Mayardit and his government are destroyed, and then removed from power, days after the crisis watchdog said in a report that Kiir's 'tight grip' on oil resources is hampering efforts to reform the country as provided for in the revitalized peace agreement.

SUDANS POST EDITORS by SUDANS POST EDITORS
October 9, 2021
Reading Time: 4 mins read

South Sudan information minister and government spokesman Michael Makuei Lueth speaking in an interview with Eye Radio [Photo: screen-grab from interview with Eye Radio]
South Sudan information minister and government spokesman Michael Makuei Lueth speaking in an interview with Eye Radio [Photo: screen-grab from interview with Eye Radio]
JUBA – South Sudan government has accused the International Crisis Group (ICG) of working to ensure that President Salva Kiir Mayardit and his government are destroyed, and then removed from power, days after the crisis watchdog said in a report that Kiir’s ‘tight grip’ on oil resources is hampering efforts to reform the country as provided for in the revitalized peace agreement.

“South Sudan’s rulers keep a tight grip on its oil wealth, blocking outside scrutiny and obstructing reforms urgently needed to ease both popular hardships and political tensions. Along with International Monetary Fund support, a peace deal has kickstarted new efforts to fix the country’s broken finances,” the ICG said last week in a report titled: ‘Oil or Nothing: Dealing with South Sudan’s Bleeding Finances.‘

However, South Sudan’s Minister of Information, Communication Technology and Postal Service Michael Makuei Lueth dismissed the report as “fake” saying outsiders are working to ensure that the government of President Salva Kiir Mayardit is being targeted and therefore everyone would like to destroy the regime.

“This is a report that does not even deserve to be responded to; and I can say this is a fake report. They don’t know what they are talking about. They are not honest and they are not genuine. Their target is to ensure that Salva and his group are destroyed,” Makuei who is also the government spokesman said.

The investigative report also said senior South Sudan government officials close to President Salva Kiir Mayardit use the oil proceeds to “sponsor militias across the country, undermining efforts to tame violence persisting after the 2018 peace agreement.”

The 42-page report also reveals that Kiir’s confidants – including close relatives and loyal military officers – operate as a shadow government, bypassing the institutions the formal administration controls in cooperation with the political opposition.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

Factional SPLM-IO leader Gen. Simon Gatwech Dual looks during a meeting with government delegation in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on October 2, 2021. [Photo via Facebook]

Gen. Gatwech not under house arrest in Sudan – aide

South Sudan map featuring Western Equatoria state. [Photo via Wikipedia]

Machar-nominated South Sudan minister flees assassination attempt

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • MANAGEMENT
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Gen. Gatwech not under house arrest in Sudan – aide
  • Machar-nominated South Sudan minister flees assassination attempt

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.