• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Monday, May 5, 2025
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Four killed, 25 wounded in South Sudan army bombing on Fangak

MSF confirmed the bombing but did not attribute responsibility. Mamman Mustapha, the head of MSF’s South Sudan mission, condemned the attack in a statement.

by Sudans Post
May 3, 2025

SSPDF chopper lands in Bor town, Jonglei State, on October 20, 2024. [Photo by Sudans Post]
SSPDF chopper lands in Bor town, Jonglei State, on October 20, 2024. [Photo by Sudans Post]
BOR – South Sudan’s army targeted a hospital run by medical charity Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) in Old Fangak, Jonglei State, on Saturday morning, causing extensive damage and resulting in four deaths, including a nine-month-old child, and 25 injuries, the local county commissioner said.

MSF confirmed the bombing but did not attribute responsibility. Mamman Mustapha, the head of MSF’s South Sudan mission, condemned the attack in a statement.

“We strongly condemn the destruction of our hospital in Old Fangak. This facility was the only source of lifesaving care for over 40,000 people. Attacks on medical facilities are unacceptable and a clear violation of international humanitarian law,” Mustapha said.

“We call on all parties to the conflict to ensure the protection of civilians and humanitarian infrastructure, and to respect medical services at all times,” he added.

MSF statement on the bombing of Old Fangak hospital

Biel Boutros Biel, the Commissioner of Fangak County, said in a recorded statement that the bombing occurred around 4 a.m. and involved multiple military aircraft, including two gunships, a drone, and another plane.

“This morning, Saturday, the 3rd of May 2025, two gunships, one drone, and another plane, they came to Fangak County, especially Old Fangak town, a civilian center,” Biel said. “They bombed it… and they displaced over 30,000 people in the town.”

Biel stated that the aircraft belonged to the South Sudanese government and referenced a prior SSPDF statement indicating intentions to target Fangak County.

“And these planes belong to the government of South Sudan… we saw a statement yesterday from the spokesperson of the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces that they will target Fangak County and other areas… So indeed, they have implemented it today,” Biel said.

/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/WhatsApp-Audio-2025-05-03-at-12.48.47-PM-mp3cut.net-1.mp3

He emphasized that Fangak is a civilian area with no military connections.

“They bombed Fangak County, a civilian center that has no connection with any military activities, but they bombed it,” Biel said.

Biel reported initial casualties of four deaths, including a nine-month-old child, and 25 injuries, with some individuals in critical condition.

“We have sustained casualties… four people died, including a child, a boy of nine months old… a lady died and two young men,” Biel said. “So far, we got 25 civilians. Some are in critical conditions.”

He also detailed the destruction of the MSF hospital, including its pharmacy, the only source of medicine for the local population.

“They bombed the hospital… They burned the pharmacy completely… They burned the only place where civilians get their medicines. So the pharmacy of MSF has been burned to ashes,” Biel said.

/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/WhatsApp-Audio-2025-05-03-at-12.48.47-PM-mp3cut.net-2.mp3

Biel alleged that the attack was ethnically and politically motivated, targeting the Nuer people and those perceived to be affiliated with the SPLM-IO opposition group. He cited remarks by a government minister profiling certain communities as hostile.

“These people of Fangak… are killed because of their own identity. Because they are Nuer… and they are killed because of what the government perceives as allegiance or affiliation to the political party SPLM and its military wing SPLM-IO,” Biel said.

He appealed to the South Sudanese government to cease targeting civilians and urged the international community to intervene, describing the situation as potential genocide.

“This is genocide and the genocide convention… the people of Pangak… are being killed because of their tribal background as Nuer people… and because of the political affiliation to SPLM-IO,” Biel said. “It is high time for the international community to act.”

/wp-content/uploads/2025/05/WhatsApp-Audio-2025-05-03-at-12.48.47-PM-mp3cut.net-3.mp3

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • Client Portal
  • Client Portal
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Machar’s SPLM-IO suspends four more over ‘seditious’ activities
  • Western powers condemn Old Fangak hospital bombing, civilian deaths

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.