• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Tuesday, May 14, 2024
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

South Sudan peace monitors welcome training start for phase two of peace forces

Gonfa expressed concern about reports of tensions in Tambura County, Western Equatorial State, which have endangered civilians. He commended the Western Equatoria Governor's deployment of security forces to de-escalate the situation.

by Sudans Post
May 9, 2024
Maj Gen Hailu Gonfa Eddosa, Chairperson of CTSAMVM speaks during opening of meeting in Juba on Thursday, 9th may 2024 [Photo by Sudans Post]
Maj Gen Hailu Gonfa Eddosa, Chairperson of CTSAMVM speaks during opening of meeting in Juba on Thursday, 9th may 2024 [Photo by Sudans Post]

JUBA — The South Sudan Ceasefire Monitoring body (CTSAMVM) welcomed the decision by President Salva Kiir Mayardit and First Vice President Riek Machar to begin training for phase two of the unified forces within the next two weeks.

“CTSAMVM performs its mandate in some very challenging places in South Sudan,” said outgoing chairperson Maj Gen Hailu Gonfa Eddosa, opening a CTSAMVM meeting in Juba. “We welcome the presidency’s decision.”

Gonfa expressed concern about reports of tensions in Tambura County, Western Equatorial State, which have endangered civilians. He commended the Western Equatoria Governor’s deployment of security forces to de-escalate the situation.

The CTSAMVM chairperson also reported violence perpetrated by suspected National Salvation Front (NAS) elements in Mundri Counties, Western Equatoria State, particularly Minga and Wiro Payam.

“An estimated 6,000 people in Minga Payam were displaced to Kediba Payam, Mundri East County, and Rokon in Central Equatorial State,” Gonfa said.

The 2018 revitalized peace agreement signed by Kiir and Machar included provisions for integrating rival armed factions into unified forces, forming the base for a professional national army. However, the process remains unfinished.

While roughly 53,000 unified forces from phase one completed training in 2022, only 4,000 have been deployed so far,and without firearms. President Kiir has blamed an arms embargo for the delay in equipping the forces.

The international community, including the United States, disagrees. They believe South Sudan has enough existing firearms to equip the peacekeepers.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post footer logo

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Kenyan mediators invite Laraka’s group to Nairobi talks
  • Cirillo reiterates rejection of Nairobi talks, pushes for roundtable conference

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.