• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT
Thursday, July 8, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

South Sudan to receive second batch of COVID-19 vaccine next month

South Sudan will receive its second batch of COVID-19 vaccine doses in August, according to health authorities.

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
July 6, 2021
Reading Time: 4 mins read

Presidential security advisor Tutkew Gatluak (left) and minister of health Elizabeth Achuei (center) receiving COVID-19 vaccine at Juba Airport [Photo by Anadolu agency]
Presidential security advisor Tutkew Gatluak (left) and minister of health Elizabeth Achuei (center) receiving COVID-19 vaccine at Juba Airport [Photo by Anadolu agency]
JUBA – South Sudan will receive its second batch of COVID-19 vaccine doses in August, according to health authorities.

Dr. John Rumunu, Head of Health Services at the Ministry of Health disclosed that 60,000 AstraZeneca vaccines will arrive in the country on the first week of August from the COVAX facility.

“We expect the next batch to arrive in the first week of August. The 60,000 doses will come from the COVAX facility,” Rumunu told reporters during the routine Sunday weekly briefing on COVID-19 at Emergency Operation Center (EOP) in Juba.

The health expert revealed that the country has so far administered more than 50,778 vaccines.

The world’s youngest nation has a population of 13 million.

“We have deployed over 50,778 doses of AstraZeneca vaccines across the country, the first dose account for 47, 37 and the second dose is 3, 741,” he told reporters in Juba.

In March, the country received 132,000 doses of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine from the Covax facility and another consignment of 59,000 doses from the African Union (AU) and South African telecom giant, MTN.

But the 59,000 doses donated by the AU could not be used as they expired on 13 April before the country could start a vaccine rollout.

Also, the African youngest nation donated 72,000 doses to Kenya after concluding it cannot administer the jabs before they expire on 18th July.

“The 72,000 doses that were returned to the COVAX facility is burned, I mean, we have put the doses in the poor and we are getting this 60,000 from the pool,” he said.

He sounded optimistic that the country will administered the remaining 9,222 doses before the expiry on 18th July.

“In terms of whether or not we will finish the remaining vaccines before the expiry, of course, there is no doubt that we are going to finish it because the current daily yield is above 1000,” he said.

“The first batch of the vaccine is expiring on 18 July. We are remaining 9,222 doses and we have like 14 days remaining for the vaccines to expire,” he added.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan president Salva Kiir Mayardit (right) and his first deputy Dr. Riek Machar Teny (left) meeting Troika envoys in Juba on Wednesday, December 9, 2020 [Photo by presidency]

S. Sudan’s best friends reiterate support as country they helped midwife turns ten – statement

July 8, 2021
Acting UN Resident & Humanitarian Coordinator in South Sudan, Matthew Hollingworth, addressing reporters in Juba on 15 April 2021 [Photo by Sudans Post]

UN pledges support for peace, stability in South Sudan

July 8, 2021

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • MANAGEMENT
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • S. Sudan’s best friends reiterate support as country they helped midwife turns ten – statement
  • UN pledges support for peace, stability in South Sudan

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms