• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT
Friday, October 15, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

SPLA-IO downplays defection of top general to Gatwech, rubbishes claims Machar behind delay of security reforms

South Sudan's main armed opposition Sudan People's Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO) in Western Bahr el Ghazal state has downplayed the defection of its sector seven commander Gen. Thomas Baselio Tendo Kali who declared his allegiance to former SPLA-IO chief of staff General Simon Gatwech Dual last week, saying the senior opposition commander has no forces in the area.

SUDANS POST EDITORS by SUDANS POST EDITORS
October 13, 2021
Reading Time: 7 mins read

South Sudan's then rebel leader Dr. Riek Machar talks to his men in a rebel-controlled territory in Jonglei State January 31, 2014. [Photo by Goran Tomasevic/REUTERS]
South Sudan’s then rebel leader Dr. Riek Machar talks to his men in a rebel-controlled territory in Jonglei State January 31, 2014. [Photo by Goran Tomasevic/REUTERS]
JUBA – South Sudan’s main armed opposition Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO) in Western Bahr el Ghazal state has downplayed the defection of its sector seven commander Gen. Thomas Baselio Tendo Kali who declared his allegiance to former SPLA-IO chief of staff General Simon Gatwech Dual last week, saying the senior opposition commander has no forces in the area.

In a statement on September 8th 2021, 1st Lt. Gen. Thomas Baselio Tendo Kali said he is no longer loyal to First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar and that he will start supporting General Simon Gatwech Dual in his talks with the government of President Salva Kiir Mayardit to implement the security arrangements provided for in the revitalized peace agreement.

Machar who is the chairman and commander in chief of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army in Opposition (SPLM/SPLA-IO) signed a revitalized version of a 2015 peace agreement to end the country’s deadly conflict. The peace deal provided for the reunification of the rival forces under a close known as the ‘security arrangements’ on which basis the country’s security sector shall be reformed.

However, tactical delay from the parties to the implementation of the security arrangements have sparked international and regional concerns and has badly caused political and military infighting in the main armed opposition group leading to defection of the General Simon Gatwech Dual, the SPLA-IO’s chief of staff, in August this year.

In his statement declaring allegiance to Gen. Gatwech Dual, Gen. Baselio accused First Vice President of being the stumbling block to the implementation of the security arrangements and said he will now support General Simon Gatwech Dual in his quest for the implementation to implement the revitalized peace agreement from President Salva Kiir Mayardit.

“On my own behalf as the commander of Western Bahr el Ghazal Lions Front in SPLA-IO’s sector 7, and on behalf of the leaders, officers, non-commissioned officers and soldiers of the front, we are making this statement to announce that we support the ongoing peace process between General Simon Gatwech Dual, the Interim Chairman and Commander in Chief of the SPLM/SPLA (IO),” Gen. Baselio said in his statement dated September 8.

“The negligence by the previous leadership on the security arrangements is about throwing the forces to an unknown fate that has no end. We want real peace, not the peace of personal interests, a peace in which all parties guarantee their rights and turning the pages of war once and for all through the merger of the forces to become unified forces with the sole mandate to protect the homeland and the people, not forces belonging to individuals or specific parties,” he added.

In respond, General Ashab Khamis Fahal, a member of the SPLA-IO High Command Council from Western Bahr el Ghazal said the defection by Gen. Baselio will have no negative impact on the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement and the leadership of the SPLA-IO saying the defecting opposition commander has no forces on the ground.

“His declaration of joining Kit-Gwang group is a personal decision. It does not represent the Lions of Sector 7, Western Bahr el Ghazal front. His accusations to SPLM- IO leadership for not taking care to the implementation of Chapter Two of the security arrangement are baseless. The source of the delay is well-known to each and every one,” the Machar-allied commander said in the statement.

“We respect any individual decision based on our belief in the freedom of expression and right of everyone to decide his future, but we do not accept any an individual to return to his position as the concept of all especially in the issue that has something to do with consent,” he added.

 

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan president, Salva Kiir Mayardit [Photo by unknown]

Kiir giving billions of dollars in contracts to US-sanctioned businessmen Kur Ajing, Bol Mel – report  

Newly-appointed Managing Director of Nile Petroleum Corporation (Nilepet) Eng. Bol Ring Mourwel has officially re-launching fuel retailing all stations in Juba [Photo by Nilepet]

BREAKING | Kiir dismisses Nilepet boss

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • MANAGEMENT
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Opinion | Why Dr. Riek Machar and his wife Angelina kept Gen. Martin Kenyi’s death top secret
  • Opinion | Analysis on the National Awakening Day: From both the government’s and PCCA’s perspectives

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.