• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Friday, April 17, 2026
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

SPLA-IO regains control of Akobo, Sudans Post geolocation shows

Geolocated videos place opposition fighters at airstrip and county headquarters after dawn assault

by Sudans Post
April 13, 2026
SPLA-IO soliders celebrating in Akobo County. [Photo by Paul Rout]
SPLA-IO soliders celebrating in Akobo County. [Photo by Paul Rout]

JUBA — South Sudan’s main armed opposition, the Sudan People’s Liberation Army-in-Opposition (SPLA-IO), has regained control of Akobo town in Jonglei State, according to geolocation analysis conducted by Sudans Post, supported by footage circulated on Monday.

Multiple videos reviewed and geolocated by Sudans Post show SPLA-IO fighters inside key locations in Akobo following a coordinated assault launched at dawn. In one video, a group of armed men are seen with a captured technical just south of Akobo airstrip, geolocated to approximately 7°47’2.19″N, 33°0’13.31″E.

SPLA-IO soldiers celebrtating with civilians inside Akobo town, here: 7°47'2.19"N, 33°0'13.31"E. [Geolocation by Sudans Post]
SPLA-IO soldiers celebrtating with civilians inside Akobo town, here: 7°47’2.19″N, 33°0’13.31″E. [Geolocation by Sudans Post]

Another clip shows a senior SPLA-IO figure, identified as the group’s former commissioner of Akobo, standing in front of the Akobo County headquarters, geolocated to approximately 7°47’3.65″N, 33°0’19.01″E. The footage indicates the presence of opposition forces within central administrative areas of the town.

The extent of casualties and the full sequence of events could not be independently verified.

Local sources speaking to Sudans Post said SPLA-IO forces advanced on Akobo from both northern and southern directions early Monday, suggesting a coordinated, multi-axis operation that overwhelmed forces stationed in the town.

In a statement, SPLM-IO spokesman Pal Mai Deng confirmed the development, saying: “Akobo has fallen to SPLA-IO Sector Three Command under Gen. John Luk. The details will be made public by Col. Lam Paul Gabriel in a few hours to come.”

SPLA-IO soldiers inside Akobo County headquarters, here: 7°47'3.65"N, 33°0'19.01"E. [Photo courtesy]
SPLA-IO soldiers inside Akobo County headquarters, here: 7°47’3.65″N, 33°0’19.01″E. [Photo courtesy]

For his part, SPLA-IO spokesman Col. Lam Paul Gabriel said the town was retaken following what he described as a “swift operation” launched at around 0530 hours, adding that the fighting lasted less than an hour before opposition forces secured control of the county headquarters.

He said SPLA-IO forces captured several military vehicles and weapons during the operation, including pick-up trucks mounted with heavy machine guns, transport trucks, and small and medium arms. He also claimed that government forces suffered significant losses, though this could not be independently verified.

Gabriel said the group regretted the loss of life resulting from what he described as “provoked clashes” and commended SPLA-IO forces for what he said was the recapture of the town.

Akobo, located near the border with Ethiopia, has long been a contested area due to its strategic position and history as a stronghold of opposition forces during South Sudan’s civil war. Control of the town has shifted multiple times since fighting erupted in 2013 between forces loyal to President Salva Kiir and those aligned with First Vice President Riek Machar.

The town had been under the control of the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) since mid-March, when government troops moved in following rising tensions and insecurity in the area, marking a recent shift in control prior to Monday’s developments.

The recapture comes amid renewed tensions in parts of Upper Nile and Jonglei regions, where sporadic clashes between rival factions and allied militias have continued despite the 2018 Revitalized Peace Agreement. Analysts say control of Akobo could provide the SPLA-IO with a logistical foothold along cross-border routes and strengthen its military posture in the greater Upper Nile region.

Further details on the operation, including troop movements and potential civilian impact, are expected to be released by SPLA-IO military officials later on Monday.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • Client Portal
  • Client Portal
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • LoginPress
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Lomurö threatens shutdown of unlicensed medical facilities
  • Governor Gai reports SPLA-IO Akobo capture to President Kiir

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Skip to toolbar
  • About WordPress
    • About WordPress
    • Get Involved
    • WordPress.org
    • Documentation
    • Learn WordPress
    • Support
    • Feedback
  • Log In