• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Friday, November 22, 2024
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

SPLM-IO appointed deputy head of Lakes State RRC released under travel restriction

Geu, an appointee of the main armed opposition Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO), was arrested on September 9, 2023, a day after the fatal shooting of RRC chair Dut Marial Chahoc by a security guard at the commission.

by Sudans Post
November 21, 2024

Lakes State deputy chair of Relief and Rehabilitation Commission Adhum Achol Geu. [Photo courtesy]
Lakes State deputy chair of Relief and Rehabilitation Commission Adhum Achol Geu. [Photo courtesy]
JUBA – The former deputy chairperson of the Lakes State Relief and Rehabilitation Commission (RRC), Adhum Achol Geu, arrested in September last year over alleged links to the killing of the commission chair, has been released after more than a year in military detention.

Geu, an appointee of the main armed opposition Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO), was arrested on September 9, 2023, a day after the fatal shooting of RRC chair Dut Marial Chahoc by a security guard at the commission.

Following the shooting, an exchange of gunfire between security guards and security forces led to the death of the guard responsible for Chahoc’s killing. Government officials initially suspected Geu’s involvement in the murder, but his colleagues denied any connection between him and the incident.

Geu was held in military detention for over a year, during which his family at times did not know his location. He was detained at a military facility in Rumbek and was released on Wednesday by the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) military intelligence.

Speaking to Sudans Post on Thursday, Geu confirmed his release, maintaining his innocence and stating that investigations cleared him of any involvement in the killing of the commission chair and warranted his release.

He revealed that he was released alongside the state RRC director of administration and finance, a security personnel member deployed at the commission, and the driver of the late chairperson.

“On September 9, 2023, I was arrested by the military at a military facility in Rumbek, and I was accused of knowing about the killing of the Lakes State Relief and Rehabilitation Commission chair, late Hon. Dut Malual and Maker Amuom, a member of the commission. I was the deputy chairperson when the incident happened,” Geu said.

“However, the investigation has found that I did not do anything, and they set me free with three other RRC officials. They are the RRC director for admin and finance, the security personnel deployed at the commission, and the driver. We were released on November 19, 2024,” he added.

Geu disclosed that his release came with one condition: he is not permitted to leave the state capital, Rumbek.

“I am permanently released but under one condition: I am not allowed to travel outside the state capital. I was detained at a military facility known as Panda Hotel and then relocated to another facility known as Rock City here in Rumbek,” he said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post Footer Logo

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Kiir assures Akol, family of safety after security meeting
  • South Sudan president asked to address nation after heavy gunfire

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.