• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Wednesday, August 9, 2023
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

SPLM-IO ready for free and fair elections

Speaking during a press conference in Juba on Sunday, Oyet Nathaniel, the SPLM-IO deputy chairman, said that his group is ready for elections that will be free and fair.

2 weeks ago
Reading Time: 4 mins read

South Sudan's First Vice President and SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny attends the initialing of the revitalized peace agreement in Khartoum in August 2018 [Photo by Reuters]
South Sudan’s First Vice President and SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny attends the initialing of the revitalized peace agreement in Khartoum in August 2018 [Photo by Reuters]
JUBA, JULY 24, 2023 (SUDANS POST) – The Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO), the main armed opposition group in South Sudan, has announced its readiness for free and fair elections.

Speaking during a press conference in Juba on Sunday, Oyet Nathaniel, the SPLM-IO deputy chairman, said that his group is ready for elections that will be free and fair.

“Our position as SPLM-IO is that we are ready for elections that are free, fair and credible elections, not sham elections,” Oyet said.

“And that means for us to arrive for elections, we must budget for it now in order to carry out activities that will take us to elections,” he added.

Oyet also called on the Ministry of Finance to consider working on a supplementary budget to address any financial requirements related to the electoral process.

“The Caucus urged the National Ministry of Finance to cause without delay a supplementary budget in the FY2023/2024 Budget for the following critical pending tasks of the Revitalized Agreement on the Resolution of the Conflict in South Sudan for timely conduct of free, fair and credible elections,” he said.

South Sudan has never conducted elections as a country. It gained its independence from Sudan in July 2011, but a deadly civil war fought mainly along ethnic lines between factions led by President Salva Kiir and Machar erupted two years later.

The war ended with the signing of the revitalized peace agreement in 2018 with elections being set for end of the transitional period in 2023. However, due to unimplemented provisions of the deal, the parties in August last year postponed the polls to December 2024.

Despite concerns that the elections may not take place as peace implementation continue to stall, Kiir earlier this month told a large number of his supporters in Western Bahr el Ghazal states’ capital Wau that elections will take place in December 2024 as planned.

If that happens, it will be the first time for the world’s youngest country to see elections and will mark the end of transitional governments.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan's then newly removed FVP Dr. Riek Machar Teny speaks during a meeting of the SPLM-IO political bureau in Khartoum, Sudan. [Photo by SUNA]

Machar being ‘kept in captivity’ in Juba, activist says

Western Equatoria Governor Alfred Futuyo. [Photo courtesy]

Governor Futuyo suspends county commissioner over alleged ‘links’ with Kiir’s party

Comments 1

  1. Sammy Nyoun says:
    2 weeks ago

    Am interested to have all news update daily. in Unity state -Bentiu.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Machar being ‘kept in captivity’ in Juba, activist says
  • Governor Futuyo suspends county commissioner over alleged ‘links’ with Kiir’s party

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.