• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Monday, March 8, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

SPLM-IO says Taban ‘has no legitimate and significant grounds’ to call off peace implementation 

Main armed opposition group says calls to suspend peace deal by vice-president Taban Deng Gai are "not good for a person holding a very important position in the unity government."

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
March 5, 2021
Reading Time: 5min read

SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny attending the signing ceremony of the Sudanese peace deal in Juba in October [Photo via AFP]
SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny attending the signing ceremony of the Sudanese peace deal in Juba in October [Photo via AFP]
JUBA – South Sudan’s main armed opposition group, SPLM-IO, has accused vice-president Taban Deng Gai of trying to derail the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement saying the former first vice-president has no legitimate grounds to call off for the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement that brought about a relative instability following the formation of the unity government in February last year.

This comes after a group of lawmakers loyal to Taban accused President Salva Kiir Mayardit of violating the revitalized peace agreement after their exclusion from state governments which they said violate their share of power as provided for the 2018 peace agreement.

In an exclusive interview with Sudans Post this afternoon, Dut Majokdit, a member of the SPLM-IO National Liberation Council and a close ally of First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny said the vice-president is trying to create another situation that will jeopardize the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement saying Taban has not legitimate and significant grounds to call off the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement.

“What I am seeing is that Taban and his group are trying to create a situation in which the peace implementation is compromised and people return to war,” Majokdit said. “This is not good for a person holding a very important position in the unity government that was formed because of the peace he is calling to be suspended. So far, I believe he has no legitimate grounds to call off for the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement.”

The senior opposition official said the vice-president should only blame the SPLM-IG leader, Salva Kiir, who he said has the right to nominate any person of his choice within the ruling faction, saying the vice-president should not demand for a separate representation because he has previously announced the dissolution of his group to join the SPLM-IG.

“Taban should not make noise to demand for suspension of the agreement and he should also understand that the agreement has many stakeholders and it is not Salva Kiir alone who own the agreement. We have the SPLM-IO, the SPLM-IG, the SSOA, the OPP, and the Former Detainees who all participated in the revitalization forum in Addis Ababa leading to the revitalized peace agreement,” he said.

“He should not also make efforts to undermine the peace deal because he has dissolved his faction and joined President Salva Kiir’s group, and this mean President Kiir has all the prerogative to nominate any person of his choice to all the positions allocated to his group,” he added.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan Presidential advisor and envoy Dr. Barnaba Marial Benjamin, left, and Real-SPLM chairperson Pagan Amum, right, shake hands during signing of Rome Declaration on January 13, 2020 in Rome, Italy [Photo by Getty Images]

Malong, Pagan, gov’t agree to end violence against civilians in Naivasha talks

March 8, 2021
South Sudan presidential press secretary Ateny Wek Ateny speaking to reporters at J1 in 2015 [Photo via Getty Images]

Kiir’s media aide says reports president needs heart transplant ‘witch-hunting’

March 8, 2021

Comments 1

  1. Ghol Bol says:
    4 days ago

    “SPLM-IO says Taban ‘has no legitimate and significant grounds’ to call off peace implementation”

    Mr. Taban Deng Gai is part of South Sudan and he knows what is what being, played over South Sudan and South Sudanese people by the fake so-called *PhDs doctors*. But Mr. Taban Deng Gai has never told what he did with the money generated in our former Unity state, did he? ‘During the comprehensive peace agreement (CPA)’

    There is nothing called SPLM-IO. SPLM-IO was created by our *our enemies* here in my home state of Jonglei and given to Mr. Riek Machar, Mr. Taban Deng Gai, Alfred Lado Gore. After their aimless armed rebellion failed in Juba, 0n the 15/12/2013. The reasons was to *extricate the evil white Americans, English people, their cloned so-called arabs of North Sudan, Abeshas (so-called ethiopians) prostitutes, their evil juus (so-called israelis), some of their Bantuses, the UN, UNMISS and some creeps here in the IGAD and the African Union (the AU).

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Malong, Pagan, gov’t agree to end violence against civilians in Naivasha talks
  • Kiir’s media aide says reports president needs heart transplant ‘witch-hunting’

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms