• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Thursday, August 22, 2024
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Sudan opens western border crossing for humanitarian aid

This move to open the border crossing, which is controlled by the SAF-allied former Darfur rebels, follows months of pressure from the United Nations and international aid organizations seeking unhindered access to deliver humanitarian aid to Darfur region.

by Sudans Post
August 16, 2024

Head of the Sudanese army and President of the Transitional Sovereign Council General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan holds a press conference at army headquarters in Khartoum on October 26, 2021. [Photo by ASHRAF SHAZLY/AFP via Getty Images]
Head of the Sudanese army and President of the Transitional Sovereign Council General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan holds a press conference at army headquarters in Khartoum on October 26, 2021. [Photo by ASHRAF SHAZLY/AFP via Getty Images]
PORT SUDAN – Sudan’s government reversed course on Thursday, announcing the opening of the Adré border crossing with Chad for three months.

This move to open the border crossing, which is controlled by the SAF-allied former Darfur rebels, follows months of pressure from the United Nations and international aid organizations seeking unhindered access to deliver humanitarian aid to Darfur region.

The SAF-led government has previously resisted opening the Adré crossing, citing concerns it was being used to smuggle weapons to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF).

In a statement following the meeting chaired by Al-Burhan, the Transitional Sovereign Council said the crossing would be opened “according to the usual and agreed-upon controls” to ensure aid reaches those in need.

“The Transitional Sovereignty Council decided in its regular meeting today, headed by Lieutenant-General Abdelfattah Al-Burhan, to direct the Humanitarian Aid Commission, in coordination with the United Nations Resident Coordinator in Sudan to open the Adre border crossing for a period of three months according to the known and agreed upon controls, in order to ensure the delivery of humanitarian aid to affected citizens,” said the council in the statement.

The announcement also comes as heavy rains threaten to make the previously used tine crossing impassable, posing new logistical challenges for aid delivery.

The United States welcomed the decision while reiterating calls for both the SAF and the RSF to facilitate unrestricted humanitarian access through all available channels.

The U.S. previously invited leaders from both sides to Geneva for negotiations aimed at a ceasefire, with the SAF rejecting the invitation. The RSF delegation is currently at the talks.

Diplomats from various regional and international bodies, including the African Union, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Switzerland, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Nations, continue U.S.-mediated talks aimed at resolving the conflict.

The humanitarian situation in Sudan remains dire. More than a year of fighting has displaced nearly 10 million people and left 26 million facing severe hunger. Medical facilities are overwhelmed, and the last operational hospital in El Fasher, the capital of North Darfur, is on the verge of closure due to RSF shelling.

Humanitarian organizations are urging the international community to intervene and ensure the protection of civilians and vital lifelines in the region.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post footer logo

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Dickson Gatluak withdraws from peace initiative, accuses government of dishonor
  • South Sudan women groups demand adequate funding for peace implementation

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.