• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Monday, February 21, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Sudan warns Gatwech over ‘hostile’ activities against peace process

Speaking to Sudans Post this morning, Gen. Hassan Bilal Ahmed, a senior Sudan army officer who coordinated the signing of Khartoum peace agreement between Gatwech and South Sudan government, said General Gatwech has been told to respect the ceasefire and avoid any activity that might undermine the peace process.

February 15, 2022
Reading Time: 4 mins read

Factional SPLM-IO leader Gen. Simon Gatwech Dual looks during a meeting with government delegation in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on October 2, 2021. [Photo via Facebook]
Factional SPLM-IO leader Gen. Simon Gatwech Dual looks during a meeting with government delegation in the Sudanese capital Khartoum on October 2, 2021. [Photo via Facebook]
JUBA – The government of Sudan has reportedly warned leader of breakaway Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army in Opposition (SPLM/SPLA-IO), General Simon Gatwech Dual, against hostile activities in northern Upper Nile and other areas of South Sudan that may jeopardize the implementation of the peace agreement.

Gatwech rebelled against Machar in August last year after accusing the later of trading SPLA-Io forces who have remained in the bush since the signing of the revitalized peace agreement in 2018, with the position of First Vice President and other senior government roles.

He has since been in clash with forces loyal to First Vice President Machar in northern Upper Nile state, and more recently,  other areas in South Sudan such as Unity state and Jonglei state , raising fears among observers that the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement might collapse.

Speaking to Sudans Post this morning, Gen. Hassan Bilal Ahmed, a senior Sudan army officer who coordinated the signing of Khartoum peace agreement between Gatwech and South Sudan government, said General Gatwech has been told to respect the ceasefire and avoid any activity that might undermine the peace process.

“The government of the Republic of the Sudan has made it very clear to General Gatwech Dual that Sudan will not accept activities that are anti-peace and that may return South Sudan to army conflict and as such we have warned him about any hostile activity that might be connected directly or indirectly to his forces,” Gen. Bilal said.

The senior Sudanese army officer further revealed that forces belonging to the SPLM-IO who were displaced from Upper Nile state during fighting with General Simon Gatwech last December will now return to their bases after General Gatwech was informed of the Sudanese government intention to return the opposition forces to their bases.

“These forces of Dr. Riek Machar will return to their bases, now General Gatwech Dual has signed an agreement with the government of the state of South Sudan and this obligates him to respect the ceasefire agreement signed in 2017 and he has to be careful because Sudan will not be a launching pad for attacks that jeopardize a peace process that Sudan has helped create,” Gen. Bilal said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

Civilians hiding in the jungle as they flee gunshots in an undisclosed location in South Sudan [Photo by unknown]

Over 60 people allegedly abducted by suspected NAS rebels, SPLA-IO forces in Yei

South Sudan senior presidential advisor Kuol Manyang Juuk [Photo by Sudans Post]

Kuol Manyang tells Kiir to respect freedom of speech

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Over 60 people allegedly abducted by suspected NAS rebels, SPLA-IO forces in Yei
  • Kuol Manyang tells Kiir to respect freedom of speech

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.