• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Saturday, July 15, 2023
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Sudanese army to fight East African troops if IGAD goes on with deployment

"The Sudanese government rejects the deployment of foreign forces in Sudan and will consider them enemy forces."

3 days ago
Reading Time: 4 mins read

Chairman of Sudanese Sovereignty Council General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.[Photo courtesy]
Chairman of Sudanese Sovereignty Council General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan.[Photo courtesy]
CAIRO, JULY 12, 2023 (REUTERS) – Sudan’s army-aligned foreign ministry on Tuesday rejected a regional summit’s proposal to consider deploying peacekeeping forces to protect civilians, dashing tentative hopes the gathering might help efforts to end a near three-month-old war.

The violent power struggle between the army and paramilitary Rapid Support Forces since April 15 has killed more than 1,000 civilians and displaced 2.9 million, according to the United Nations.

Neither side has gained a clear advantage, and much of the capital has been abandoned or destroyed while mediation efforts thus far have failed.

The summit, held by East African regional body IGAD and attended by heads of states as well as representatives of several other countries and bodies, had suggested considering the deployment of regional peacekeeping forces and the further involvement of civilians in talks.

It represented the first such meeting in weeks, after a separate set of talks in Jeddah had been suspended by the United States and Saudi Arabia after numerous ceasefire violations.

The army had boycotted the IGAD mediation effort, accusing Kenya, which headed the effort, of providing a haven to the Rapid Support Forces.

“The disrespect of IGAD towards the opinions of its member states will cause the Sudanese government to re-think the utility of its membership in the organization,” the foreign ministry said on Tuesday.

“The Sudanese government rejects the deployment of foreign forces in Sudan and will consider them enemy forces,” it added.

The statement did welcome an upcoming summit held by Egypt, widely-seen as closer to the army than to the RSF, to be held later this week.

The IGAD summit, held in Addis Ababa, had featured American representatives, who in statements appeared to reject the prospect of future military rule in Sudan.

“Reaching a negotiated settlement does not – and cannot – mean returning to the status quo that existed before April 15,” said U.S. Ambassador John Godfrey.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

Sudanese soldiers participate in a military drill in Shakhout area, Sudan on Oct. 4, 2018. [Photo by Xinhua]

Sudanese army launches offensive against RSF in Bahri

National Consensus Forum logo. [Photo courtesy]

South Sudan political, civil society leaders warn against move to organize ‘sham election’

Comments 1

  1. victor Nagiro says:
    2 days ago

    Let Sudanese fight and the test the bitterness of war as the South Sudanese did their during those years when they were saying Southern problem( muskila junub) now this is muskila sumal, why refuse help form neighbors IGAD

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Sudanese army launches offensive against RSF in Bahri
  • South Sudan political, civil society leaders warn against move to organize ‘sham election’

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.