• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Wednesday, May 20, 2026
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Sudanese demonstrators block cargo traffic near Wadi Halfa over blackouts

The demonstrators erected roadblocks near the town of Abri in Wadi Halfa locality, disrupting commercial truck traffic along one of Sudan’s main trade corridors with Egypt.

by Sudans Post
May 17, 2026

Sudanese protesters in Northern State block the main highway linking Sudan and Egypt near Wadi Halfa in protest against prolonged electricity blackouts and power rationing. [Photo courtesy]
Sudanese protesters in Northern State block the main highway linking Sudan and Egypt near Wadi Halfa in protest against prolonged electricity blackouts and power rationing. [Photo courtesy]
DONGOLA — Sudanese protesters in Northern State on Sunday blocked the movement of cargo trucks along a key highway near Wadi Halfa linking Sudan and Egypt, protesting against persistent electricity outages and worsening power rationing in the region, local sources said.

The demonstrators erected roadblocks near the town of Abri in Wadi Halfa locality, disrupting commercial truck traffic along one of Sudan’s main trade corridors with Egypt. Passenger buses and private vehicles, however, were allowed to continue traveling in an apparent effort to reduce the impact on civilians.

Residents said the protest was the latest in a series of anti-blackout demonstrations that have intensified in Northern State in recent weeks amid growing public frustration over prolonged electricity cuts.

“This is not the first time people have taken to the streets over electricity,” a local resident told Sudans Post. “The power cuts have become unbearable, especially with the extreme heat.”

Northern Sudan has been experiencing soaring temperatures exceeding 44 degrees Celsius in recent weeks, increasing pressure on households already struggling with limited access to electricity and water services.

The road connecting Dongola and Wadi Halfa serves as a vital commercial route for trucks transporting goods between Sudan and Egypt, including food supplies, fuel and consumer products.

Local sources said the protesters deliberately targeted cargo movement while sparing passenger transport in an attempt to maintain civilian travel and avoid a complete shutdown of the highway.

“We wanted to send a message to the authorities without stopping people from traveling,” one protester said. “But the government must end these exhausting electricity schedules.”

The demonstrators described the protest as peaceful and warned against any attempt by authorities to forcibly reopen the road before their demands are addressed.

Sudan’s electricity sector has suffered severe disruption since the outbreak of war between the Sudanese Armed Forces (SAF) and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) in April 2023, with major infrastructure damaged or looted during the conflict.

The Sudanese Electricity Company has previously estimated that repairing the sector would require nearly $1.7 billion due to widespread destruction affecting infrastructure across the country, including the destruction and looting of around 30 major power stations in Khartoum.

Authorities have also estimated that rehabilitating thermal power stations in Garri, Bahri and Umm Dabakir alone would cost around $22 million at a time when Sudan continues to face a severe economic crisis and shortages in public financing.

Residents across several Sudanese states have increasingly resorted to protests and road closures over the past months as electricity outages continue despite repeated government promises to stabilize supply.

Share this:

  • Share on Facebook (Opens in new window) Facebook
  • Share on X (Opens in new window) X
  • Share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window) WhatsApp
  • Share on Telegram (Opens in new window) Telegram
  • Share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window) LinkedIn
  • Share on Pinterest (Opens in new window) Pinterest

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • Client Portal
  • Client Portal
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • LoginPress
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Elderly farm worker found dead in suspected suicide near Majok-Yith border
  • Puot Kang Chol denies arms, ammunition purchase claims in Nasir trial

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2025 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Skip to toolbar
  • About WordPress
    • About WordPress
    • Get Involved
    • WordPress.org
    • Documentation
    • Learn WordPress
    • Support
    • Feedback
  • Log In