• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Monday, July 18, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Top UN envoy welcomes conviction of 21 gov’t soldiers over conflict-related crimes

The head of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) Nicholas Haysom on Monday welcomed recent steps taken by the government of South Sudan to pursue accountability and justice for survivors of sexual violence in Yei River County of Central Equatoria State.

July 18, 2022
Reading Time: 4 mins read

UN SRSG and Head of UNMISS Nicholas Haysom speaking to reporters during a press conference in Juba on Thursday, 3 June 2021. [Photo by Sudans Post]
UN SRSG and Head of UNMISS Nicholas Haysom speaking to reporters during a press conference in Juba on Thursday, 3 June 2021. [Photo by Sudans Post]
JUBA – The head of the United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) Nicholas Haysom on Monday welcomed recent steps taken by the government of South Sudan to pursue accountability and justice for survivors of sexual violence in Yei River County of Central Equatoria State.

Last month, a military court sentenced at least 21 army soldiers belonging to South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) to various jail term after having been convicted of murder, rape, and looting in Yei between 2021 and 2022.

Five of the twenty-one soldiers accused of rape were convicted, dismissed from active military service and stripped of their rank, and then sentenced to up to 10 years of imprisonment, and were required to pay compensation to survivors.

“We commend the authorities and the SSPDF for holding perpetrators accountable for the horrific crimes committed. The community played an essential role, as they demanded that these cases be investigated and adjudicated,” said Haysom who is also the Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) for South Sudan.

Haysom disclosed the mission will continue to provide funding for survivors of GBV before and after the trial and added that the mission will provide logistics assistance through the Yei River Women’s Association.

“We must ensure that survivors get the help they need, are treated with compassion and respect, and are not further traumatized,” he said.

The UN Chief said the mission and partners have been supporting processes for accountability and access to justice, including justice for children, through a range of special and mobile courts.

He said Yei General Court Martial is part of the Mission’s ongoing collaboration with the Military Justice Directorate to strengthen accountability within the SSPDF.

On his part, Yei River County Commissioner Aggrey Cyrus Kanyikwa expressed his gratitude for the expedited establishment of the General Court Martial.

“Declaration of an end to impunity and lawlessness”, adding that “it proves that South Sudan can end impunity and provide justice; and that nobody is above the law,” Cyrus said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

River dredging process. [Photo by iStock]

Opinion | The dredging misconception and the paradoxical argument between proponents and opponents  

Executive Director of Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) Edmund Yakani. [Photo courtesy]

Get South Sudan leaders to agree on peace roadmap, Yakani tells visiting Senegalese president

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Opinion | The dredging misconception and the paradoxical argument between proponents and opponents  
  • Get South Sudan leaders to agree on peace roadmap, Yakani tells visiting Senegalese president

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.