• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Monday, March 1, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Troika urges end to South Sudan intercommunal violence

Bloc says it is "deeply concerned that violence is exacerbating an already dire humanitarian situation, where 7.2 million people are facing severe levels of food insecurity and more people are in need of assistance than in any year since South Sudan’s independence.”

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
February 22, 2021
Reading Time: 4min read

South Sudan president Salva Kiir Mayardit (right) and his first deputy Dr. Riek Machar Teny (left) meeting Troika envoys in Juba on Wednesday, December 9, 2020 [Photo by presidency]
South Sudan president Salva Kiir Mayardit (right) and his first deputy Dr. Riek Machar Teny (left) meeting Troika envoys in Juba on Wednesday, December 9, 2020 [Photo by presidency]
JUBA – The Troika on Monday called on South Sudan Reconstituted Transitional Government of National Unity to bring to an end the escalating inter-communal violence in the world’s youngest country.

The Troika said it is deeply concerned about the violence and called on the government to expend all efforts to de-escalate the situation in most parts of the country.

In a statement issued on Monday, the United States, United Kingdom and Norway said tribal conflict is exacerbating an already dire humanitarian situation.

“We are deeply concerned that violence is exacerbating an already dire humanitarian situation, where 7.2 million people are facing severe levels of food insecurity and more people are in need of assistance than in any year since South Sudan’s independence,” said the statement.

“We call upon the Government to ensure immediate de-escalation of sub-national conflict and unhindered humanitarian access,” it added.

The Troika noted that while political violence has largely subsided in South Sudan since the signing of a revitalized peace agreement in September 2018; inter-communal clashes continue to result in the killing and injuring of civilians, cattle raiding and the looting of property.

“While the national ceasefire has generally held, the level of violence across the country, including conflict caused by defections, is unacceptable,” it said.

Between January and May last year, the UN Mission in South Sudan recorded 415 violent incidents between communities, up from 129 during the same period in 2018.

Since December 2019, there has been an escalating cycle of violence in Jonglei involving three ethnic groups of Nuer, Murle and Dinka which left more than 2,000 civilians dead.

Experts believed that the failure of the government to protect civilians from violence, investigate incidents, and hold perpetrators accountable is believed to have contributed to this cycle of attacks which have resulted in increasing numbers of casualties in Tonj, Jonglei and Abyei.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

Dr. Angelo Goup Thon, Director for Emergency Preparedness at South Sudan Ministry of Health [Photo by Sudans Post]

Gov’t threatens to shutdown private COVID-19 labs

February 28, 2021
South Sudan's president Salva Kiir attends a medals awarding ceremony for long serving servicemen of the South Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) in Bilpam, military headquarters in Juba, South Sudan January 24, 2019.[Photo by Samir Bol REUTERS]

South Sudan pays $1.5m of its membership arrears owed to EAC bloc

February 28, 2021

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Gov’t threatens to shutdown private COVID-19 labs
  • South Sudan pays $1.5m of its membership arrears owed to EAC bloc

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms