• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Saturday, February 5, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

UN chief names Nigerian army commander as head of UNISFA in Abyei

The United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed a Nigerian army commander as the head of the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA), with South Sudan welcoming the decision.

February 3, 2022
Reading Time: 5 mins read

UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres [Photo by Fiona Goodall/Getty Images]
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres [Photo by Fiona Goodall/Getty Images]
JUBA – The United Nations (UN) Secretary-General Antonio Guterres has appointed a Nigerian army commander as the head of the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA), with South Sudan welcoming the decision.

The international mission was established on June 27, 2011, in response to the urgent situation in the disputed border area less than two weeks ahead of the independence of South Sudan after the eruption of violence between the two sides.

“United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres (Tuesday) announced the appointment of Major General Benjamin Olufemi Sawyerr of Nigeria as Force Commander for the United Nations Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA),” reads a statement by the UN spokesperson.

Sawyerr succeeds Maj Gen Kefyalew Amde Tessema of Ethiopia.

The mission until now is formed only headed and composed Ethiopian military forces as it was requested by the Sudanese government and in recognition of the role played by the late Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi.

However, following the deterioration of bilateral relations between Khartoum and Addis Ababa Khartoum requested the withdrawal of the Ethiopian force from Abyei that remains under Sudan’s sovereignty.

On January 19, 2022, the head of the Un peacekeeping department Jean Pierre Lacroix spoke with the Chairman of the Sovereign Council to inform him of the troops’ replacement process will start in February and will continue until next March.

Previously, Sawyerr served as Commandant of the Nigerian Army Armour School in Bauchi State in North-East Nigeria (2020-2021).

He held the position of Brigade Commander twice in North-East Nigeria and was Commanding Officer of the Nigerian Battalion with the United Nations Mission in Liberia (2009-2010).

He also served as the Director of Plans at the Nigerian Army Headquarters (2019-2020) and Deputy Director of Doctrine and Combat Development (2017-2018).

South Sudan welcomes appointment

South Sudan government welcomed the appointment of the Nigerian army general, with Deng Alor, South Sudan’s Minister of East African Affairs, saying the country will continue to look for ways to expedite the resolution of Abyei dispute.

“This is the responsibility to complement efforts of member states to preserve peace and security. As government, we welcome the appointment of the new force commander and will work with him to ensure peace prevails in the area”, he said.

Kuol commended the work of peacekeeping force, pointing to efforts that have been rolled out to curb illicit armed activities north of the area.

“There have been activities in recent past which have caused a great concern to the people of Abyei and neighbouring communities but the leadership of the UNISFA was able to respond and deploy to areas where the incidents were reported and calm has been restored”, he said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan petroleum minister Puot Kang Chuol addressing journalists following a meeting of the Economic Crisis Management Committee (ECMC) in Juba on Tuesday [Photo by SSBC]

Gatwech accuses oil minister of commanding forces in Upper Nile state’s Nasir

South Sudan civilians being released from rebel custody in January 2018. [Photo by ICRC South Sudan]

4 SSPDF captives released by SPLA-IO in Jonglei

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Gatwech accuses oil minister of commanding forces in Upper Nile state’s Nasir
  • 4 SSPDF captives released by SPLA-IO in Jonglei

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.