• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Thursday, July 28, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

UN mission condemns Mayom fighting  

The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has issued a press statement condemning the attack in Mayom town in which 12 people including the Mayom county commissioner was killed by rebel forces belonging to Gen. Stephen Buay Rolnyang.

July 27, 2022
Reading Time: 3 mins read

Head of United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) and Special Representative of the Secretary General (SRSG) Nicholas Haysom speaking during the opening session of the 5th Governors' Forum in Juba on Tuesday, November 23, 2021. [Photo by Awan Achiek/Sudans Post]
Head of United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) and Special Representative of the Secretary General (SRSG) Nicholas Haysom speaking during the opening session of the 5th Governors’ Forum in Juba on Tuesday, November 23, 2021. [Photo by Awan Achiek/Sudans Post]
JUBA – The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has issued a press statement condemning the attack in Mayom town in which 12 people including the Mayom county commissioner was killed by rebel forces belonging to Gen. Stephen Buay Rolnyang.

Last Friday, fierce fighting erupted inside Mayom town resulting in the death of the commissioner, Maj. Gen. Chuol Gatluak Manimeh, the elder brother of Presidential Advisor on Security Affairs Tut Gatluak Manimeh.

The South Sudan People’s Movement/Army (SSPM/Army) led by General Stephen Buay claimed responsibility for the attack. The violence since then escalated with a highway attack on a SSPDF convoy yesterday resulted in the killing of at least 40 people, mostly government soldiers.

“The UN Mission in South Sudan, UNMISS, condemns the attack on Friday, 22 July, on Mayom County, Unity State, resulting in the death of several people including the Mayom County Commissioner,” the mission said in a statement seen by Sudans Post this afternoon.

“The rebel South Sudan People’s Movement/Army led by General Stephen Buay Rolnyang claimed responsibility for the attack, following earlier clashes between the group and government forces in the area on 19 July,” the statement added.

The head of the mission and SRSG Nicholas Haysom called on the armed groups in the country to put down their guns and join the ongoing peace process.

“Subnational violence has already had a devastating effect on communities. We appeal to all armed groups to put down their weapons and participate in peace efforts,” Haysom said.

“This is the only way to break the cycles of violence and revenge killings, and pave the way for durable and sustainable peace,” he added.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan President Salva Kiir Mayardit being seen off by FVP Dr. Riek Machar Teny at Cairo Airport. [Photo via presidency]

BREAKING | Kiir leaves Juba for Kampala

General Charles Tai Gituai, the interim chairperson R-JMEC speaks during the 18th monthly meeting of the R-JMEC in Juba on July 22, 2021 [Photo by Awan Achiek/Sudans Post]

South Sudan peace monitoring body lauds formation of judicial reform committee

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • BREAKING | Kiir leaves Juba for Kampala
  • South Sudan peace monitoring body lauds formation of judicial reform committee

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.