UNMISS informs Machar of intends to withdraw troops from POC sites

UNMISS chief David Shearer, left, meeting South Sudan First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar, right, in his office in Juba [Photo by UNMISS]

UNMISS chief David Shearer, left, meeting South Sudan First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar, right, in his office in Juba [Photo by UNMISS]

JUBA – The United Nations Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) has informed South Sudan’s First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny that it intends to withdraw peacekeepers from the civilian protection sites in the country for redeployment in areas of need where inter-communal conflicts are killing hundreds, Machar’s press office said in a statement on Tuesday.

The world mission’s intention of redeployment was conveyed to the First Vice President by the head of UNMISS and Special Representative of the Secretary-General (SRSG) David Shearer during a meeting at Machar’s office on Tuesday.

“The UNMISS Chief, Shearer, briefed the First Vice President on the UN’s plan to redeploy its peacekeeping troops from the POCs to other areas,” Machar’s office said in a statement seen by Sudans Post following the meeting.

“Importance protection”

The statement by Machar’s office said the meeting between the two men also discussed the importance of IDPs protection until all preparations to resettle the internally displaced persons to their homes are completed.

“The meeting discussed the importance of the protection of the sites until when adequate preparations are made to resettle the IDPs and voluntarily move them to their private residences or home areas,” it added without disclosing if the UNMISS has agreed to continue the presence of UN troops in the POC sites.

The meeting came days after the UN mission in South Sudan said it began withdrawing troops from UN-manned IDP protection sites in Wau and Bor.

That UN decision sparked anger and demonstrations among internally displaced civilians who are opposition to the UN withdrawal.

Despite the IDPs’ opposition, Shearer said in an op-ed published on Sudans Post last week that it may withdraw its peacekeepers in other sites, apparently Juba and Bentiu, in the coming days.

The UN mission confirmed on its website the meeting between Machar and Shearer saying the two men discussed the “gradual transition of UN Protection of Civilian sites into conventional camps for internally displaced people.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *