• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Wednesday, February 8, 2023
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Watchdog ‘disturbed’ by war of words on social media over Kajo-keji killings

South Sudan’s Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) has expressed concerns over exchange of statements on social media over last week’s killings of almost 30 civilians in Kajo-keji country of Central Equatoria state.

3 days ago
Reading Time: 3 mins read

CEPO Press Release logo. [Photo courtesy]
CEPO Press Release logo. [Photo courtesy]
JUBA, FEBRUARY 5th 2023 (SUDANS POST) – South Sudan’s Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) has expressed concerns over exchange of statements on social media over last week’s killings of almost 30 civilians in Kajo-keji country of Central Equatoria state.

On Thursday, gunmen believed to be rebels from the National Salvation Front (NAS) led by General Thomas Cirilo’s Swaka attacked cattle camps belonging to the Bor community, killing at least five civilians.

The cattle keepers responded by attacking villagers killing at least 21 innocent civilians, mostly young men.

In statements, Gen. Cirilo, Simon Gatwech, First Vice President Riek Machar, and other political actors issued statements to condemn the killing with Kiir’s party blaming the cattle keepers for the run-away violence in the Equatoria region.

In a statement, CEPO expressed concerns over the exchange of statements and noted that propaganda was being involved by those issuing the statements.

“CEPO said disturbed with the trend of exchanged information about the then developing violent situation in some parts of Kajo-keji county of Central Equatoria State,” CEPO said in the statement extended to Sudans Post.

“The contradictory and countering statements including the growing hostile propaganda and hate speech about Kajo-keji county violent situation in some parts may lead to worst deadly violence that constitute further gross human rights violations that may end up as genocide or crime against humanity,” the statement added.

Edmund Yakani, the Executive Director of Community Empowerment for Progress Organization called for intervention of President Salva Kiir Mayardit and the governors of Jonglei and Central Equatoria state.

“The president and the state governors of Jonglei and Central Equatoria urgently need to intervene,” Yakani said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Deng Dau Deng speaks during the opening one-day Tukul talk conference held in Juba on Tuesday, Feb. 7th, 2023 [Photo by Sudans Post]

South Sudan accuses Kenya, Uganda of illegally taking over its territories

Troika statement. [Photo courtesy]

Western powers urge gov’t to address ‘underlying causes’ of Kajo-keji violence

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • South Sudan accuses Kenya, Uganda of illegally taking over its territories
  • Western powers urge gov’t to address ‘underlying causes’ of Kajo-keji violence

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.