• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Wednesday, February 7, 2024
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Mayom County: 400 youth return from Warrap and Abyei

Speaking during the welcoming of the youth, Mayom County Commissioner Luka Chierey said the armed youth returned to their land as part of the presidential order to resolve the conflict between Twic Mayardit and Ngok Dinka of Abyei.

by Sudans Post
February 5, 2024

Aerial view of Mayom town. [Photo courtesy]
Aerial view of Mayom town. [Photo courtesy]
JUBA – The government of Mayom County in Unity State has said that it has received at least 400-armed youth voluntarily returning from neighboring Warrap State’s Twic County and the disputed Abyei Administrative Area.

This comes less than a month after President Salva Kiir Mayardit ordered Nuer youth in Abyei and Twic Mayardit county of Warrap to return to their areas of origin or to any other place of their choice in South Sudan.

Speaking during the welcoming of the youth, Mayom County Commissioner Luka Chierey said the armed youth returned to their land as part of the presidential order to resolve the conflict between Twic Mayardit and Ngok Dinka of Abyei.

“We have received 400 armed youth who used to fight alongside the Twic and Ngok Dinka community,” he told hundreds of civilians gathered to receive the armed civilians in Mayom, as reported by his office.

“This is a crucial step to deescalate the conflict between Twic and Ngok community, and positive response to the order of President that the Nuer armed youth in Abyei Administrative area and Twic County must be moved to Nuer land,” he added.

Fighting between Ngok Dinka and armed youth from Twic Mayardit have killed hundreds of civilians since last year.

President Salva Kiir had sought to deescalate the tensions by expelling Nuer youth displaced to Abyei by floods and Twic-based Nuer spiritual leader Gai Machiek, also displaced by army violence in 2021, from Abyei and Warrap State.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post footer logo

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Mobile court established in Koch County
  • CEPO’s Yakani, VP Nyandeng discuss 2024 elections and subnational violence

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSES
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2023 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.