• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Saturday, August 27, 2022
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Bring justice to victims of Unity State extrajudicial killings, Yakani tells gov’t

South Sudan’s prominent activist and Executive Director of Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) Edmund Yakani has urged the government to bring justice to victims of crimes committed against citizens in Unity State and Kajo-Keji County of Central Equatoria.

August 26, 2022
Reading Time: 4 mins read

Activist Edmund Yakani speaks during the ceremony to extend the transitional period for 24 months on August 5, 2022. [Photo by presidency]
Activist Edmund Yakani speaks during the ceremony to extend the transitional period for 24 months on August 5, 2022. [Photo by presidency]
JUBA – South Sudan’s prominent activist and Executive Director of Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) Edmund Yakani has urged the government to bring justice to victims of crimes committed against citizens in Unity State and Kajo-Keji County of Central Equatoria.

This comes after a high court in the country’s Eastern Equatoria state sentenced to death by hanging a 24-year-old man implicated in the grim killing of the a local community chief which sparked protest in Nimule town in July this year.

In a statement extended to Sudans Post, Yakani welcomed the ruling and urged the government to create necessary conditions for the judiciary to carry out its work to deliver justice to victims of crimes committed by members of the army and opposition groups.

“It time to see similar justice and accountability provide for the crimes recently committed in Leer county on civilians murder, Mayom County where alleged rebels were executed in an extrajudicial manner and Kajokeji county for the army’s murder of two siblings,” Yakani said.

Earlier this year, fighting in southern Unity State razzed parts of Leer and Mayendit counties with militia groups allied to government-appointed commissioners of Koch, Mayendit and Leer counties killing dozens of innocent civilians including women.

Also in July, rebel forces belonging to South Sudan People’s Movement/Army led by General Stephen Buay Rolnyang attacked Mayom town gruesomely killing the commissioner and 12 other members of the organized forces there and also wounding a woman and her daughter.

The government responded by killing four opposition figures believed to have been participate in the killing of the commissioner. One officer identified as Gatluak Majiok was burned alive in the same manner the commissioner was killed while three others were executed by firing squad.

In June, soldiers belonging to South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) murdered three civilians including two siblings.

In the statement, Yakani urged the government and the judiciary to refrain from ‘selective provision of justice’ and said there was need for the government organs to “demonstrate that justice sectors of the country is functional and free in delivering justice and accountability on matters of violation of the existing laws of the country.”

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

World Bank Group headquarters. [Photo by Eric Baradat/AFP/Getty Images]

World Bank disowns South Sudan-based job advertisements for youth

Executive Director of Community Empowerment for Progress Organization (CEPO) Edmund Yakani. [Photo courtesy]

Yakani says arrival of military equipment for peace forces ‘demonstration of political will’

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • World Bank disowns South Sudan-based job advertisements for youth
  • Yakani says arrival of military equipment for peace forces ‘demonstration of political will’

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
  • EDUCATION
  • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.