• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT
Friday, September 17, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Gatwech says ‘there are attempts to disrupt’ Magenis conference from Juba

"I now understand that there are desperate attempts from the politicians under Salva Kiir in Juba to make sure that this conference does not go on as planned, they want to remove us from Magenis before we conclude the conference."

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
September 16, 2021
Reading Time: 5 mins read

SPLA-IO chief of staff Gen. Simon Gatwech Dual arriving in Juba in April 2016 ahead of the group's leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny [Photo by unknown]
SPLA-IO chief of staff Gen. Simon Gatwech Dual arriving in Juba in April 2016 ahead of the group’s leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny [Photo by unknown]
JUBA – South Sudan main armed opposition commander and self-imposed leader of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement in Opposition (SPLM-IO) General Simon Gatwech Dual has accused unnamed politicians in Juba of working to disrupt the opposition conference slated for September 30th in Magenis saying there are ‘desperate’ attempts to dislodge him before September 30th from Magenis.

Last week, Brigadier General William Gatjiath Deng, the spokesman of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army in Opposition (SPLA-IO) Kitgwang faction led by General Gatwech, a former opposition military chief of staff, said top opposition commanders and politician will convene for three days in Magenis, northern Upper Nile state, to decided what they will do over the impeded implementation of the revitalized peace agreement.

Speaking to Sudans Post yesterday, General Simon Gatwech said he was not aware of why he was being attacked by forces loyal to First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar and then said there are attempts by the government in Juba to make sure that he is dislodged from Magenis before the end of the month so that the opposition gathering which is expected to bring together different opposition groups including former South Sudan army chief Paul Malong and Stephen Buay Rolnyang do not take place as planned.

“Since August, I have been thinking why I was being attacked by the forces loyal to former SPLM-IO Chairman Dr. Riek Machar Teny and these attacks have escalated in recent days. I now understand that there are desperate attempts from the politicians under Salva Kiir in Juba to make sure that this conference does not go on as planned, they want to remove us from Magenis before we conclude the conference,” he said on phone from Magenis.

General Simon Gatwech Dual further confirmed that he has invited former SPLA chief of staff General Paul Malong Awan Anei and former SPLA Division Four Commander General Stephen Buay Rolnyang to attend the conference saying he seek to unite the opposition ranks so that a consolidated front against the government is created in case there is return to the civil war.

“I have written to General Buay and to General Malong, all of them they have confirmed their coming to the conference. I called them because now, our country has divided itself along ethnic lines, even the fighting between December 2013 and 2020 was largely based on ethnic lines, I want to change that because if there is to be change in South Sudan, all people of the country must participate to bring change, not a one or two tribes,” he said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan Minister of Higher Education, Science and Technology, Changson Gabriel Lew Chang, speaking minutes before he signed a memorandum of understanding on education with his Egyptian counterparts in Cairo on October 24, 2020 [Photo by Tor Madira Machier/Sudans Post]

South Sudan’s Kiir to address challenges facing public universities, students – Changson

South Sudan president, Salva Kiir Mayardit (Photo via Getty Images)

Kiir spends $1.6 million on lawmakers again amid hunger, insecurity and floods

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • MANAGEMENT
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • South Sudan’s Kiir to address challenges facing public universities, students – Changson
  • Kiir spends $1.6 million on lawmakers again amid hunger, insecurity and floods

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.