• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT
Thursday, August 5, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Machar says Gen. Gatwech’s defection ‘engineered by peace spoilers’

In a communique extended to Sudans Post following a meeting of the SPLM-IO Political Bureau in Juba, Machar said “the three Generals who met in Magenls do not constitute the SPLA (IO) leadership of the MIllitary Command Council.”

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
August 4, 2021
Reading Time: 5 mins read
SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny attending the signing ceremony of the Sudanese peace deal in Juba in October [Photo via AFP]
SPLM-IO leader Dr. Riek Machar Teny attending the signing ceremony of the Sudanese peace deal in Juba in October [Photo via AFP]

JUBA — South Sudan’s main armed opposition leader and the country’s First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny has accused unnamed ‘peace spoilers’ of standing behind his military chief’s defection from the SPLM/A-IO.

On Tuesday, General Simon Gatwech Dual, former SPLM-IO chief of General Staff, announced following a ‘meeting’ in Magenis of top opposition commanders that Machar was no longer the SPLM/A-IO leader.

He accused Machar of betraying the cause of the movement and said he was taking over, deputized by former SPLA-IO sector one commander, General Johnson Olony Thabo, but said he was for the implementation of the revitalized peace agreement.

In a communique extended to Sudans Post following a meeting of the SPLM-IO Political Bureau in Juba, Machar said “the three Generals who met in Magenls do not constitute the SPLA (IO) leadership of the MIllitary Command Council.”

According to the communique signed by Machar himself, the SPLA-IO “Military Command Council is composed of the Commander-in-Chief, Chief of General Staff and his Deputies, Commanders of the nine Sectors, and Commander of the General Headquarters.”

He added that “At the time of the declaration, General Simon Gatwech Dual had already been relieved from command and appointed as Presidential Advisor for Peace.”

“However, the Military Command does not make the political decisions of the Movement but the Political Bureau or the National Liberation Council In absence of the National Convention.”

The powerful opposition chief further accused unnamed peace spoilers of engineering the defection of General Gatwech which now threatens to return the world’s youngest country to the devastating civil war it experienced during the past seven years.

“It is regrettable that the declaration was engineered and facilitated by peace spoilers who previously sponsored attacks on Turu cantonment site in Maiwut County, Liengklji cantonment site in Maban County in Upper Nile State, Moroto training centre in Kajo Keji County in Central Egoatoria, the attacks on SPLA(IO) in Western Bahr Al-Ghazal and Western Equatorla States,” the communique reads.

“The Polltical Bureau, therefore, condemns these grave vlolations In the strongest terms possible,” it said, adding that “The declaratlon was Intended to derall the formatlon of the unified command, graduation and the deployment of the unlfled forces, which remain an outstandIng priority after the concluslon of the reconstitution of the Natlonal Leglslature.”

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

General Stephen Buay Rolnyang [Photo via Facebook]

General Buay to gang-up with Gatwech, Pagan to remove Kiir from power

August 5, 2021
Journalist Majur Chol Khor. [Photo Courtesy]

S. Sudan journalist detained over failure to pay bridewealth released after two months

August 5, 2021

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • MANAGEMENT
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Opinion | Paradox and conspiracy spiraling Nunu’s nomination as speaker of parliament
  • General Buay to gang-up with Gatwech, Pagan to remove Kiir from power

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.