• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT
Saturday, July 3, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Opposition commanders gather at Magenis to discuss ‘new SPLA-IO leadership’ – sources  

Top opposition commanders of the Sudan People's Liberation Movement/Army in Opposition (SPLM/SPLA-IO) are meeting at the border town of Magenis reportedly to discuss possible changes within the main armed opposition group, sources at the secret meeting said.

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
June 29, 2021
Reading Time: 4 mins read

SPLA-IO chief of staff General Simon Gatwech Dual [Photo via Facebook]
SPLA-IO chief of staff General Simon Gatwech Dual [Photo via Facebook]
JUBA – Top opposition commanders of the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army in Opposition (SPLM/SPLA-IO) are meeting at the border town of Magenis reportedly to discuss possible changes within the main armed opposition group, sources at the secret meeting said.

The meeting, according to one opposition source, began on Monday, two days after opposition commander General Johnson Olony Thabo, whose nomination for governor of Upper Nile state was rejected by President Salva Kiir last year, left Kosti in White Nile state for Magenis to attend the meeting on Saturday.

“This is a very important meeting and what is being discussed here is about a new SPLA-IO leadership in light of what we have seen in the last week days and weeks,” the opposition source who is at the meeting and not allowed to speak to the media regarding the meeting told Sudans Post via satellite phone this morning.

Another opposition officer who is also at the meeting said the gathering is being organized by SPLA-IO military chief General Simon Gatwech Dual and General Johnson Olony and said the two have informed all the opposition commanders of the development between them and the SPLM-IO leadership in Juba.

“This meeting when it was started began with informing all the generals about what is going on between the SPLA-IO military headquarters and those in Juba including the appointment of General Simon Gatwech Dual as a presidential advisor to Salva Kiir Mayardit,” the officer said on condition of anonymity.

The reports about a meeting come days after First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny and General Simon Gatwech Dual exchanged barbs after the later turned down an appointment by President Salva Kiir Mayardit as a presidential advisor, saying the position does not exist in the revitalized peace agreement.

Machar responded and removed him as chief of staff of the SPLA-IO forces, but General Gatwech has maintained that he still command the forces and accused Machar of attempting to assassinate him in Magenis.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan member of parliament Bor Gatwech Kuany [Photo via Facebook]

Elected lawmaker Bor Gatwech demands explanation after Kiir refused to reinstate him

July 3, 2021
South Sudan legislators applaud as President Salva Kiir (unseen) addresses parliament on April 12, 2012 in the capital Juba. [Photo by WAAKHE WUDU/AFP via Getty Images]

BREAKING | Kiir revokes appointment of some lawmakers, reinstates elected lawmakers

July 3, 2021

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • MANAGEMENT
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Elected lawmaker Bor Gatwech demands explanation after Kiir refused to reinstate him
  • BREAKING | Kiir revokes appointment of some lawmakers, reinstates elected lawmakers

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms