• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Tuesday, February 23, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

SPLA-IO spokesman says latest lockdown disrupting graduation of forces

Colonel Lam Paul Gabriel says unified forces won’t be graduated until COVID-19 lockdown is lifted.

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
February 19, 2021
Reading Time: 6min read
SPLA-IO deputy spokesman Col. Lam Paul Gabriel speaks to media about the progress and challenges facing the transitional security arrangement in Juba on October 2, 2019. [Photo by Getty Images]
SPLA-IO deputy spokesman Col. Lam Paul Gabriel speaks to media about the progress and challenges facing the transitional security arrangement in Juba on October 2, 2019. [Photo by Getty Images]

JUBA – A media official for South Sudan’s main armed opposition group, SPLA-IO, is attributing delays of graduation of the necessary unified forces to the lates coronavirus lockdown imposed by the government earlier this month.

Colonel Lam Paul Gabriel, the deputy spokesman of the SPLA-IO and press secretary for defense minister, Angelina Teny, said the plans to have the unified forces graduated by end of February are being disrupted by the latest COVID-19 lockdown.

“In February Presidency held a meeting, and it was agreed  that the graduation of the forces will happen as soon as possible,  but due to recent declaration of COVID-19 partial lockdown which prohibited social gathering like meetings, and political activities. There is no way that the graduation will take place,” Lam said on Thursday.

The high-ranking opposition officer who is also a member of the Joint Defense Board further said the forces will not be graduated until the COVID-19 lockdown is lifted.

“I don’t believe if the graduation will take palace unless the COVID-19 partial lock down is lifted in the country,” he added.

The leadership of National Transitional Committee, a body tasked to oversee the implementation of the 2018 revitalized peace agreement stated recently that the graduation of unified forces was to commence before the end of February, something that is now unlikely to be fulfilled.

“The graduation of the unified forces was to take place before the end of January according to the office of National Transitional Court, but due to some challenges such as lack of resources, and soldiers abandoning the training centers due to lack of food and medicines, could not make the graduation to take place” he said.

For his part, the acting spokesperson of South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) Brigadier General Santo Domic said they are just waiting to be told to deploy the unified forces once they are passed out.

“We don’t have any information. We are just waiting to be told when are we supposed to organize the forces for deployment but up to now there is no mention of that. So we are just waiting for what is going to happen,” Domic said.

 The Reconstituted Transitional Government of National Unity (R-TGoNU) formed in February last year is yet to complete the training, and graduation of the unified forces that are to take charge of the security during the three-year transitional period ending 2022 when South Sudan is expected to hold elections.

The parties in the coalition government are yet to also established the national legislature, states, and the local governments as well as Hybrid Court and other transitional justice institutions provided for in the revitalized peace agreement.

Share this:

Related Posts

Steven Lual, the spokesman of the South Sudan Patriotic Movement (SSPM) speaking to reporters in Khartoum at South Sudan peace talks in 2018 [Photo obtained by Sudans Post].

South Sudan official condemns ‘continued terrorist’ attacks against Saudi Arabia

February 22, 2021
South Sudan president Salva Kiir Mayardit (right) and his first deputy Dr. Riek Machar Teny (left) meeting Troika envoys in Juba on Wednesday, December 9, 2020 [Photo by presidency]

Troika urges end to South Sudan intercommunal violence

February 22, 2021

Comments 1

  1. Ghol Bol says:
    3 days ago

    “SPLA-IO spokesman says latest lockdown disrupting graduation of forces”

    They can just *liberate themselves* if the low lives think, they are anything to South Sudan and the Sudanese people ‘ARMY’. But the low lives are *going to be bombed to near extinction/oblivion—–reasons, pure HATRED and RACISM*

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • South Sudan official condemns ‘continued terrorist’ attacks against Saudi Arabia
  • Troika urges end to South Sudan intercommunal violence

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

Sudans Post uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. By visiting Sudans Post, you agree to our use of cookies. For more, visit our privacy and terms