• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT
Saturday, September 25, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

Troika countries condemn Sudan coup attempt as ‘threats to democratic transition’

The Troika countries, (United States, United Kingdom, and Norway) on Tuesday condemned alleged coup attempt in Sudan and expressed strong support for country's transitional government and said they rejects any attempts to derail or disrupt the Sudanese people’s efforts to establish a democratic, peaceful, and prosperous future.

STAFF WRITER by STAFF WRITER
September 21, 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read

Troika and EU diplomats speaking to state media following meeting with First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny in Juba on Tuesday, May 11, 2021 [Photo via FVP's office]
Troika and EU diplomats speaking to state media following meeting with First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny in Juba on Tuesday, May 11, 2021 [Photo via FVP’s office]
JUBA – The Troika countries, (United States, United Kingdom, and Norway) on Tuesday condemned alleged coup attempt in Sudan and expressed strong support for country’s transitional government and said they rejects any attempts to derail or disrupt the Sudanese people’s efforts to establish a democratic, peaceful, and prosperous future.

“The civilian and military components – and indeed all political actors – should work together to prevent threats to the democratic transition, establish transitional institutions, and address tensions in the East and other regions,” said a statement released by Troika countries this afternoon.

“Those who would seek to undermine the civilian-led transition should understand that Sudan’s international partners stand firmly behind the people of Sudan and their transitional government,” it added.

The Sudanese government said that people linked to the ousted President Omar al-Bashir were behind Tuesday’s failed coup attempt.

The current administration which involved the military, civilian representatives and protest groups was then established as part of a power-sharing agreement.

Reports suggest that up to 40 officers have been arrested in connection with an attempted coup in Sudan this morning.

A senior government official said the plotters attempted to take over the state broadcaster’s television buildings and the military general command.

Video on social media showing how armored vehicles on city streets and the AFP news agency reports that traffic now appears to be flowing smoothly in central Khartoum.

Sudan’s transitional government is under pressure to deliver economic and political reforms amid competing demands from conservative and liberal constituencies.

Two years ago, President Omar al-Bashir, the country’s long-term ruler, was toppled. A power-sharing agreement then established a government involving the military, civilian representatives, and protest groups.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan former army chief an leader of South Sudan United Front/Army - SSUF/A, General Paul Malong Awan speaking to the press in 2016 in Juba [Photo by unknown]

Malong disowns rebel officers who defected to Machar last week

International Monetary Fund and the World Bank [File by Blogafrik]

World Bank, IMF threaten to suspend aid to South Sudan over illegal payments to Kur Ajing, associates

Comments 1

  1. MajoJ says:
    3 days ago

    Riek you are not suppe to condemn the fails coup attempts that take place in sudanese captial khartoum sudan.while you are the one teach them with how to make coup attempts.

    Reply

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • MANAGEMENT
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • Malong disowns rebel officers who defected to Machar last week
  • World Bank, IMF threaten to suspend aid to South Sudan over illegal payments to Kur Ajing, associates

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • MANAGEMENT

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.