• TERMS OF USE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
Thursday, November 25, 2021
Sudans Post
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي
No Result
View All Result
Sudans Post
No Result
View All Result

VP Taban says gov’t must buy, destroy guns from civilians  

“Those who will surrender their riffles peacefully, we should give them a token even $10, $50, $100 that is enough for them but we must destroy these arms.”

SUDANS POST EDITORS by SUDANS POST EDITORS
November 24, 2021
Reading Time: 3 mins read

South Sudan VP for infrastructure Taban Deng Gai speaking during the 5th Governors' Forum in Juba on Tuesday, November 23, 2021. [Photo by FVP's Office]
South Sudan VP for infrastructure Taban Deng Gai speaking during the 5th Governors’ Forum in Juba on Tuesday, November 23, 2021. [Photo by FVP’s Office]
JUBA – South Sudan’s Vice-President Taban Deng Gai has suggested that the government buy off weapons from civilians’ hands; something the vice-president said will help the government achieve the disarmament program without casualties.

This was echo by President Salva Kiir in July when he told a Kenyan TV that “The only way to get them out is buying off from them – that is to tell a person that ‘If you give us your guns, you will be given this’.”

A 2020 forceful disarmament conducted by the South Sudan People’s Defense Forces (SSPDF) in August last year sparked deadly fighting between the army and civilians in Tonj of Warrap state resulting in heavy casualty on the army.

First Vice President Dr. Riek Machar Teny also said he do not agree with a forced disarmament and suggested, in August that the government buys off the arms from civilians to avoid casualties.

Speaking during the opening session of the 5th Governors’ Forum in Juba on Tuesday, Taban said the government should buy the weapons from the civilians, but should then destroy them to avoid the guns being taken by the civilians again.

“My personal opinion is this time when we collect them from the civilians, we don’t put them in stores, because if we put them in stores, they go back to the hands of civilians again. This time let us destroy them,” VP Taban said.

“Those who will surrender their riffles peacefully, we should give them a token even $10, $50, $100 that is enough for them but we must destroy these arms,” the senior government official said.

Share this:

  • Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
  • Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)

Related Posts

South Sudan activist Abraham Awolich. [Photo via Facebook]

BREAKING | Prominent activist Abraham Awolich resigns from Sudd Institute

Governor of South Sudan's Central Equatoria state Emmanuel Adil Anthony speaking in his office [Photo by Governor's office]

Continue with demolition, Central Equatoria governor orders new mayor

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

ADVERTISEMENT
Sudans Post

Sudans Post is an independent, young, and grass roots news media organization aimed at providing readers with an alternate depiction of events that occur on Sudan, South Sudan and East Africa, and to establish an engaging social platform for readers to discover and discuss the various issues that impact the two countries and the region.

SUDANS POST

  • ABOUT US
  • CONTACT US
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE
  • TERMS OF USE

RECENT NEWS

  • BREAKING | Prominent activist Abraham Awolich resigns from Sudd Institute
  • Continue with demolition, Central Equatoria governor orders new mayor

SUBSCRIBE TO SUDANS POST

Get the news delivered right into your inbox and subscribe!

 

Loading
  • PRIVACY POLICY
  • TERMS OF USE
  • ETHICS COMMITTEE
  • SUBMITTING AN ARTICLE

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.

No Result
View All Result
  • HOME
  • NEWS
    • SOUTH SUDAN
    • SUDAN
    • REGION
    • CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC
  • EDUCATION
  • PRESS RELEASES
  • OPINIONS & ANALYSIS
  • CONTACT US
  • ABOUT US
  • عربي

Copyright © 2019–2021 Sudans Post - All rights reserved.