Cagayan de Oro residents demand due process in demolition
Residents’ legal counsel is keen on checking if the city ordinance mentioned did not supersede national laws.
ADVERTISEMENT
Residents’ legal counsel is keen on checking if the city ordinance mentioned did not supersede national laws.
“If this demolition pushes through, I will lose customers and the livelihood I inherited from my family. Being relocated would also mean more expenses for commuting and for transporting the food I sell.”
Following DPWH’s proposed replacement, there was also a motion to make the two-lane bridge a four-lane structure to subsequently address vehicular traffic congestion in the area. The proposal came from the city government of Cagayan de Oro, according to the DPWH-10.
Under the 1992 Urban Development and Housing Act, the execution of demolition requires the notice upon the affected persons or entities at least thirty (30) days prior to the date of eviction, proper identification of all persons taking part in the demolition, and adequate relocation, among others.
Residents of Maisan in Sampaloc, Manila find the demolition unjust as negotiation for their relocation is ongoing with the city government of Manila.
Sa isang makabuluhang pag-aaral sa kasaysayan ng mga pandemya, sinabi ng historyador na si William H. McNeill sa Plagues and Peoples (1976) na makabuluhan ang papel na ginagampanan ng pagkalat ng mga nakahahawang sakit sa kinahinatnan ng mga kalagayang panlipunan....
According to initial reports by Save Patungan Now Movement, armed elements of the demolition team opened fire at least 12 times at the residents who set up barricades at entry points. Three residents, Neslie Lantar, Erick Dominado, and Ace Amul suffered gunshot wounds.
Over the years, developers have targeted the highway between Santa Rosa and Tagaytay as a prime development spot. Ayala Land, Inc. and the Lucio Tan-owned Greenfield Development Corporation first began development in Santa Rosa in the early 2000s, much to the dismay of farmers and residents who lived in the area.
At a time when Filipino families are being told to stay at home, urban poor families in Intramuros said they have not received any relocation program at all. Residents also lamented that the Manila police has been assisting the private company in carrying out the demolition.
The affected residents are now staying in the streets amid the Luzon-wide enhanced community quarantine.
"We hope our politicians learn their lessons and look closely at the plight of the poor. We are Filipinos.”
“I learned from the process that 'wants' of these urban poor families are what may be considered as 'basic' for those who are considered in the middle class.”
“Pushing through with the demolition will only add to the number of homeless.”
At Camp Karingal, the police did not even bother feeding the 57 Apollo residents it ‘arrested.’
Urban poor groups are calling for a stop to the demolition of informal settler communities, and to hold former President Benigno Aquino III accountable for the destruction and violence.
For two days recently, violent clashes broke out between the police and informal settlers resisting the demolition of their homes (about 100 families) in a privately claimed lot in Culiat, Quezon City. These were but the latest of similar scenes in the metropolis...
Kadamay said 16 urban poor leaders had been killed under the Aquino administration. The latest victim, Benilda Santos, was shot dead in Quezon City on May 22.
The demolition of homes in North Triangle is among the cases that would be filed against President Aquino in the coming International People’s Tribunal in Washington DC in July.
“We have no problem with the road project as long as it is legal and no corruption is involved. We only ask the local government, as well as the national government, to let us stay here. We will make do with what is left for us here.”
A community of readers and supporters that help us sustain our operations through microdonations for as low as $1.