Fenerbahce sack Jose Mourinho after UCL qualifier defeat

The Turkish side Fenerbahce sacked their head coach, Jose Mourinho, on Thursday, less than 48 hours after a 1-0 defeat to Benfica in their Champions League qualifier game.
Fenerbahçe announced that they have parted ways with Mourinho, who prides himself on being the “Special One,” in a post on X on Friday morning.
“Our Professional Football First Team’s technical director, Jose Mourinho, who has been carrying out his duties starting from the 2024-2025 season, has parted ways with us,” Fenerbahce said.
The Turkish side added, “We thank him for his efforts for our team until today and wish him success in his future career.”
Mourinho’s latest sack comes just after 14 months with the Turkish side. The 62-year-old helped Fenerbahce to second position last season but failed to book them a spot in the Champions League.
Previously, Mourinho was similarly sacked when he coached Chelsea, Manchester United, Tottenham, and Roma.
We have recently deactivated our website's comment provider in favour of other channels of distribution and commentary. We encourage you to join the conversation on our stories via our Facebook, Twitter and other social media pages.
More from Peoples Gazette

Agriculture
FG tasks ECOWAS on leveraging financing strategies for agroecology
The federal government has urged stakeholders in the agriculture and finance sectors in the West Africa region to leverage financing strategies to enhance agroecology practices

Politics
Katsina youths pledge to deliver over 2 million votes to Atiku
“Katsina State is Atiku’s political base because it is his second home.”

Education
Anambra: Ado Girls’ Secondary School backs WAEC on CBT
The educationist said CBT was not an option but the way forward for credible, transparent, and globally competitive education in Nigeria.

Economy
BPP seeks emergence of procurement lawyers to tackle corruption
Mr Adedokun said this in a statement by his spokesman, Zira Nagga, on Friday, at the 65th Annual General Conference of the Nigerian Bar Association in Enugu.

Abuja
Resident doctors give FCTA one-week ultimatum to begin health reform, threaten strike
Mr Ebong advised the FCT Administration to prioritise healthcare workforce development.

Anti-Corruption
Nigerians, immigration officers guilty of bribery, corruption; passport fee hike justified: Tinubu’s Aide
The presidential aide is notorious for making controversial statements.

States
Six suspected cult members arrested in Osun: Police
Mr Ojelabi said the arrest was part of efforts by the state Commissioner of Police, Ibrahim Gotan, to contain cult activities and other vices.

Health
Africa CDC warns of rising cholera cases in refugee camps
The deputy incident manager of the incident management support team at Africa CDC, Yap Boum, said this during a virtual press briefing on Friday.